Since breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, I thought I would share with ya’ll one of my go to recipes that is easy, quick and also healthy: crustless quiche. I like this recipe a lot; it is simple to cook and I can prepare ahead for a few days, as well. And you know, I am all about convenience.
As I have mentioned before, hubs and I try and eat low carb (well maybe not lately, but I digress). Lower carb eating usually gets a bad rep from those who don’t know their facts. We don’t cut out all carbs; just the “bad” ones (white breads, refined sugars, starches, etc) and reduce our carb intake by eating most of our carbs from veggies instead (and hello, veggies are good for you!). That being said, just like any healthy diet we need good fats! Olive oil, avocado, coconut oil; things like that.
Have you tried coconut oil? Anyone looking for “good” fats to use, should try this stuff (no matter how you eat)! I like to put a teaspoon in my coffee and also to saute veggies for stir fry. I also use it when I make my (crustless) quiche!
I’ve tried several brands of coconut oil and the one I always go back to is Kelapo. I don’t know if its because their products are 100% organic, and unrefined or not, but I just enjoy it best. Some other coconut oils I have tried, tasted too “coconut-y” to me; whereas Kelapo’s does not. Its all personal preference I guess. I really like that their website has a plethora of recipes you can try using their oil (so if you run out of ideas, you can check out their site!) Plus, the company is based in Tampa, and I love me some local businesses! I contacted Erin, the founder of Kelapo, and asked if she would be interested in doing a giveaway for my little ol’ blog. She happily agreed and one lucky reader will receive their own jar of Kelapo coconut oil. *I was sent an 8oz jar of Kelapo Coconut oil to test for my recipe as well.
Now, onto my dish: Ham & Mushroom (Crustless) Quiche
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Stir in ham and continue cooking until excess moisture has evaporated.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cream, and cheese. Add mushroom/ham mixture and stir to blend. Pour into prepared pie pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until eggs have set, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Feel free to use any veggie/protein combo you like. Sometimes I use spinach and bacon. Sometimes, just cheese and tomato. Broccoli is great, too. It’s easy and you can make however you like! Go for it, kids.
How to win your own jar of Kelapo (Coconut Oil):
You will get one entry for each of the following, and just need to comment on this post once you have done so:
- Follow me through GFC and/or follow by email
- Follow me Twitter @NewlywedNichole
- Like Kelapo Coconut Oil on Facebook by going here
- Follow Kelapo Coconut Oil on Twitter @kelapo
- Tweet this post and mention both @NewlywedNichole and @kelapo in your tweet!
*If you already do any of the above, leave a comment stating so. I will pick a winner on 1/18/12.
Thanks and Good Luck, ya’ll!