Happy Friday! I’m trying something new on the blog; Jason and I have decided we more than need 1-2 date nights in a month. No working on our phones, or computers. No letting the dogs take over our couch, and no picking at leftovers while we watch tv. A little us time with dinner and a movie at Casa de Crews.
We love staying in and watching movies but a) we don’t seem to have much time lately to do so b) see above…we’re not really present with each other while on the couch together.
On these date nights in, we’ve both decided that dinner can be whatever we want, as long as we make it together. We’re not worrying about calories, carbs, etc. But it can’t be crap food, right? It should be something tasty and worth the dinner in.
Truth be told, until I began working with Stella Cheese, I had never had Fontinella cheese, but it is gooood. It’s texture at first, reminds me of Parmesan cheese. But it’s smoother to shred, and easier to melt #iwantallthecheeseplease
Add an adult beverage, and an antipasto plate, and you have a dinner, full of all the flavors in no time.
[bctt tweet=”Grilled Eggplant Fontinella – perfect for a date night in! #StellaCheeses #StellaTakesManhattan”]
I plan to make a specific tab on the blog (under recipes) exclusively to share our Dinner and a Movie menu each month, so that anyone looking for inspiration can easily find these dishes (and maybe a movie review too – would you all like that as well in these posts? Let me know!).
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup Fontinella Cheese, shredded
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp evoo
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut of the eggplant crosswise into 1/4 inch thick rounds. Liberally season eggplant with salt and leave them for 30 minutes to help draw out water, and bitterness of eggplant. Pat dry when 30 minutes have passed.
- Add oil to a pan on medium high. Add garlic and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggplant rounds (may need to do this in 2 batches) to pan, and grill each side approx 4 minutes each.
- Once done, top each eggplant round with marinara, basil, and Fontinella.
*Right now, you can also enter to win Dinner and a Show, in NYC! This giveaway is a three day, two night trip giveaway to New York City with a $500 gift card, dinner for two, and two tickets to a Broadway show. Good Luck!