Happy Monday! It was a glorious weekend with ah-mazing weather, and a cold that seems to have finally left me, for good (#byefelicia). After being stuck inside for almost an entire week, Jason and I took advantage of said weather all weekend long.
We met up with my sister and sweet niece at the Saturday Morning Market in downtown St. Petersburg, where I snagged an abundance of fresh produce. Sometimes, the options are hit or miss for me, so the fact that I found so many fresh goodies, made me one happy girl.
Post market, we went for breakfast at Trip’s Diner where my niece got milk drunk. Trip’s was total comfort/diner food. I love a fancy brunch set-up, but diner breakfasts hold a special place in my heart – especially with family.
Other weekend shenanigans included: a trip to Mazzaro’s Italian Market with Jason for a few Certified Angus Beef steaks for Sunday (we have a tradition of grilling steaks, while and enjoying cocktails, and watching the Oscars. I love it so much), more dining table shopping (I THINK WE FOUND “THE ONE”), and a BBQ dinner at Kojak’s. If we’re snapchat friends (@casadecrews), you probably saw all of this already 😉
….and I meal-prepped! For the first time in a l.o.n.g. time. It felt good to shop, cook, and feel organized for the week.
I’m still super obsessed with the pesto recipe I shared last week. In general, pesto is easy to make. I’ve made it with spinach, with basil, arugula, kale…I rarely use toasted nuts like a lot of recipes call for. I just don’t think it needs it.
After pouring through cookbooks for inspiration, I knew my pesto would be perfect on Caprese Turkey Burgers! I have been wanting to make these burgers from Sheet Pan Suppers, for a while now. They are SO good.
I made a side of homemade Sweet Potato Fries, because #duh.
Other meals on the menu this week: Buffalo Shrimp Caesar Salad, Roasted Salmon with Broccoli (also from the Sheet Pan Suppers cookbook), and grilled chicken breasts with (more) pesto. Because for real, I can’t get enough of this sauce.
[bctt tweet=”Caprese Turkey Burger – lean, flavorful, and ready in under 30 minutes!”]
- 1lb ground turkey (I used 90/10 mix)
- 1/2 cup shallot, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 tomato, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1/4 cup pesto sauce (homemade, store bought, etc)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line sheet pan (baking sheet) with foil or parchment paper. Place a wire rack on prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine turkey, shallot, basil, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix gently and divide meat into 4 mounds, approx 3/4 inch thick. Place turkey burgers on top of wire rack.
- Bake burgers in oven 20-25 minutes, until burgers are nearly cooked (temp should read 165F).
- Remove pan from oven, and top each burger with a slice of cheese, and return to oven. Roast until burgers cooked through, and cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Top burgers with tomato slice, and a generous spoonful of pesto.