With Mother’s Day next weekend, the #SundaySupper family is sharing ‘Mom’s Favorite Recipes’ – dishes inspired by momma, made by momma, or momma’s favorite dish.
I have a lot of fond memories of my mom’s cooking as a kid. Her lasagna, homemade sauce, and potato salad are some of my favorite meals to date! But the truth is, my mom is not a frou-frou kind of foodie. She likes meat and potatoes, steak, and grilled chicken salads. Her pizza better have pepperoni on it (though I did get her to try my Ricotta and Sausage Naan Pizza once – she said it was good, but that she’d never make it herself). I’ll also take credit for the Certified Angus Beef® roast I got her to try (with roasted brussels – whoa).
My dad is kind of a picky eater, and I think that is part of why her palate is the way it is. But when my mom finds something new to her at a restaurant, that is it. She likes what she likes, and that’s the end of it.
There’s a sports bar chain in our ‘hood that serves up Chicken Tacos with a Poblano Sauce, that my mom raves about! She almost always orders these tacos, because of the sauce.
As much as I love me some tacos, I’m trying to keep the grains a little light this week, but want the same flavors of my mom’s fave dining out dish! So to honor my no-fuss momma, whom I love so much, I give you my spin Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce!
Grilled chicken with this slightly spicy, creamy sauce can be stuffed into a taco, as is, or my personal favorite, with a side of cilantro lime cauliflower ‘rice’!
[bctt tweet=”Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce – so much flavor, so little calories!” username=”casadecrews”]
- 1 poblano chile
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Roast poblano over a gas burner or under the broiler, until charred all over. Rub off skin (with a paper towel); remove seeds and ribs. Chop coarsely.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small skillet, or saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add poblano and heavy cream.
- Puree saucepan ingredients in blender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat remaining tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until done, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve with sauce.
See what else we’re sharing today for #SundaySupper:
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salads, Side Dishes, and Sauces:
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Moms Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
Plus What Mom Really Wants for Mother’s Day plus Mom’s Favorite from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.