Summer is officially over at Casa de Crews. Jason is back in class (ONE SEMESTER LEFT!!), so Sunday grill dates are a thing of the past. It hurts my heart, but what can you do. Now, Sundays are spent with Jason doing homework, with football on in the background. That’s also a fun Sunday, but I love the days when all I have to worry about are sides.
…but I’m able to taste summer just a leeeetle longer with leftover brisket that Jason smoked all day! Since it’s just the two of us, we always have a ton brisket leftover (same goes for pulled pork), and it freezes extremely well.
Though there are only so many summer sides one girl can eat. Legion of Spice sent me a sample of their Black n’ Bluesy spice rub, and an idea was born.
This rub has a lot of the same spices my husband uses as his own blend for smoking meats, but it also has blue cheese seasoning. Initially, I thought making a burger would be perfect, but it was Labor Day weekend, and Jason reallllly wanted to make a brisket.
I’ve also been looking for a reason to make this shredded cabbage slaw for tacos again, since it’s so effing good. The avocado aioli is also ah-mazing, but add blue cheese, and it’s that much better. Enjoy, friends!
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 large avocado, mashed
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tbsp sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 1 tsp Black n' Bluesy spice rub
- 2 tbsp blue cheese crumbles
- 2 cups leftover brisket
- blue cheese crumbles, to garnish
- tortillas or lettuce wraps (for this recipe, I used corn tortillas, but any will do)
- Add shredded cabbage, vinegar, and salt to a bowl. Mix well. Let flavors marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients. Chill at least 30 minutes. Mix again before serving
- If using tortillas, warm according to package directions. Once done, fill with cabbage slaw, brisket, and blue cheese crumbles. Drizzle with avocado aioli. Dig in!