Summer is officially over at Casa de Crews. Jason is in his FINAL semester of law school (EVER!!!!!!!!!!). As excited as I am, it always takes me a few weeks to get used to being ‘single’ again, with a husband working full-time, taking classes at night. Plus he has forty volunteers hours to finish before November. Then, the fun bar prep begins.
So basically, we both need easy meals for the week, or we’ll
eat junk starve. Enter Chicken Caprese Skillet! This is pretty much what I consider God’s perfect food; tender chicken, melty mozzarella and tomatoes, with fresh basil, and a leeeeeetle bit of balsamic glaze. If I were more Italian (I am a quarter Italian – my maternal grandfather was born in Italy), I’d want to sound like Giada as I describe this dish to you.
It’s the ultimate 30-minute meal in a skillet. Actually from start to finish, this meal is done in close to just twenty minutes. Perfect for two busy kids like us. Leftover Chicken Caprese is just as deliscious the next day, too. The afternoon I made this dish to share with you, it ended up being lunch, and dinner. #sorrynotsorry
You can do one of two things with your chicken. You can buy chicken breasts, and pound thin with a mallet , or you can buy chicken cutlets, which are a thinner cut. The day I happened to buy my chicken breasts, they were on sale, so I opted for the mallet. You don’t have to chiffonade the basil, but I just think it looks prettier this way.
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, or cutlets (4 individual cuts)
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil
- 2-3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar glaze, for garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive-oil.
- Season chicken with Italian seasons, salt and pepper. Add to skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook chicken until done, about 5-6 minutes per side (temp should be 165).
- Top with mozzarella, and allow to melt.
- Add tomato slices.
- Top with fresh basil, and balsamic glaze, if desired.
On a heavier note, as today is the 15th anniversary of 9/11, I just wanted to say I’ll never forget the day. I was a senior in high school, with my best friend in class, when we saw the news. We all thought it was a joke, until we realized it wasn’t. My heart is always a little heavy on this day (as I am sure yours is too). Anyway, just had to mention it for a minute. Carry on.
…see what other one skillet meals we’re sharing today for #SundaySupper!
Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet by Positively Stacey
Favorite Skillet Sides
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Home Sweet Homestead
Favorite Skillet Entrees
- Alex’s Favorite Skillet Meal by The Freshman Cook
- Apple, Squash and Chicken Skillet by The Redhead Baker
- Black Bean and Rice Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Chakchouka (Tunisian Eggs in Tomato Sauce) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chili Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- How to cook ChopSuey Vegetable Stir Fry with Beef by Asian In America
- Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind Full Mom
- Creamy Paprika Chicken & Peppers by My Life Cookbook
- Easy Pink Pasta Skillet by Family Foodie
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by New South Charm
- Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet by Cooking Chat
- Hatch Chile Shakshuka by Helpful Homemade
- Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Huevos Rancheros by The Hungry Goddess
- Japanese Korean Tofu Sliders by The Ninja Baker
- Healthy Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts, Potato & Pear Skillet by Food Done Light
- Kung Pao Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza by Crazed Mom
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet by The Chef Next Door
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff by My World Simplified
- Pork and Sweet Potato Hash by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pork with Gingered Pluots by Palatable Pastime
- Salsa Chicken Skillet by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Sautéed Gnocchi with Pomodo Crudo by What Smells So Good?
- Smothered Potatoes and Sausage by Sunday Supper Movement
- Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner by Meal Planning Magic
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
- Summer Squash Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Tamale Pie by Monica’s Table
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes by Powered By BLING
- Yellow Rice Skillet by Cricket’s Confections
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Reply To: 09-11-16 Easy Skillet Recipes for Back to School – Final HTML