I’m trying to get my routine back on track. If you read Friday’s late post, I got a little more real than normal. I feel like the first half of 2017 has been so crazy busy, and I’m intentionally making myself slow it down. I have to! I can’t keep up at the speed I was going. So it’s back to basics with meal planning 101.
Sometimes, I feel like taking a few hours to prep for the week seems like some major work, but it really does set you up for a better week. I’m not running around trying to figure out what to make when I’m HANGRY. And I’m less likely to eat junk if I’ve taken the time (and spent the money) to prep ahead.
Enter: Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bowls. This month, Stonyfield, and Walmart are partnering to show how we can eat organic affordably, and they’ve asked Clean Plate Club members to shop at their local Walmart, to share their favorite finds.
I’ll be the first to tell you when I think of “organic”, and I’m not generally thinking of heading to Walmart. But my eyes have been opened. This past weekend, I was able to get everything I needed to make these Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bowls, for under $20.00. As an example, the quiona from my local Walmart, retailed $3.92 for a 16-ounce bag. At my local grocery, that same size for organic quinoa runs $7.99+
Quinoa Bowls are perfect for meal prep! I can make a batch of quinoa for the week, with protein and fresh veggies and call it a day. I work from home for my day job 70% of the week, and I think sometimes I think that means I can figure lunch out on the fly, but whether I’m in an office setting or a home setting, bowls like this can help anyone stay on track.
Shredded chicken is also ridiculously easy. It’s a no-brainer to prep Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken during the day, and toss it with whatever you like (salads, wraps, bowls, etc).
For healthy fats, and extra protein, I make an Avocado Creama with fresh avocado, Greek yogurt, garlic, and lime. This creama is so good on my Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bowls. I think next week, I’ll make a burrito-style bowl and make this creama again. I don’t think I’ll get bored of it anytime soon!
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked & shredded
- 3 tbsp hot sauce of choice (I like Frank's Red Hot)
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked to package directions
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice (about ½ fresh lime, squeezed)
- Slice avocado in half, and scoop out flesh, removing pit. Place in food processor with garlic cloves, ½ cup Greek yogurt, and 1 tbsp lime juice. Pulse until smooth and creamy. Scoop contents into a bowl, and mix in remaining lime juice.Combine hot sauce with shredded chicken. Mix well, and set aside.
- Mix 3 tbsp hot sauce with shredded chicken. Set aside.
- Assemble bowls: ¼ cup cooked quinoa, 4-ounces shredded Buffalo chicken, 2-3 tbsp celery, and ¼ cup tomatoes. Drizzle Avocado Creama on top, and dig in!
Disclosure: This post is written in partnership with Stonyfield Organic as a member of their Clean Plate Club. I received a Walmart gift card as a part of this month’s campaign in order to complete the assignment. As always, the opinions here are all my own!