A creative hot dog concocter I have never been. I like to think up all kinds of new burger creations, but for hot dogs, I’ve always been pretty simple…until a month ago. The weather was perfect in downtown Tampa for a movie in the park, and there were food trucks everywhere. I’m a sucker for a food truck, and the one we ended up ordering from had a bacon wrapped hot dog. To be honest, I thought it sounded awful. I love bacon, don’t get me wrong, but like do we need to literally put bacon on everything?! The answer, as it turns out was yes.
The bacon-wrapped dog we shared (along with tater tots #dontjudgeme) was way too good. Of course, this one was also deep fried, which probably added to the goodness, in a bad way. Haha. But it inspired me to want to grill bacon-wrapped hot dogs this summer.
Today, I’m teaming up with Kraft Heinz to share a tasty Memphis-Style BBQ Dog. I snagged everything from Walmart, where I found the recipe card to make my Memphis-Style BBQ Dogs. This recipe calls for Heinz Memphis Style Sweet and Spicy BBQ Sauce, and again I thought, “BBQ sauce on a hot dog. Really?”, and once again it was SO good. These Memphis-Style BBQ Dogs are definitely not for everyday eating, but they’re perfect for summer get-togethers!
If you’re grilling up hot dogs wrapped in bacon for friends and family, no one will complain. Topped with a sweet and spicy BBQ sauce, and cheddar cheese – you’ll probably play grill-master all summer long. If you have any skeptics in the bunch like I was, tell them to take a bite before they judge. Get more ideas to wow guests this summer, here!
I like to grill the hot dogs buns while we’re out there (let’s be honest, Jason does the grilling because we have a charcoal grill. I use a grill-pan inside) – but you could omit the buns if you’re trying to stay low-carb.
- 4 slices OSCAR MAYER Bacon
- 4 OSCAR MAYER Selects Uncured Angus Bun-Length Beef Franks
- 4 hot dog buns
- ¼ cup HEINZ BBQ Sauce Memphis Sweet & Spicy
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup KRAFT Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Wrap bacon tightly around franks.
- Grill 10 to 12 min. or until bacon is crisp and franks are heated through, turning frequently and adding buns, cut sides down, to the grill for the last minute to toast until golden brown.
- Drain franks on paper towels. Fill buns with franks; top with barbecue sauce, onions and cheese.
It’s easy to #GrabGoWow at Walmart. You can get everything in one place, including the recipe card, and call it a day. More time for grilling 🙂
Have you ever grilled a hot dog, wrapped in bacon?