I think my favorite thing about summer is that Jason grills a ton of meat for the week, and I’m just in charge of sides. Not that I can’t grill, but we have a charcoal grill, and I’m just not about fanning flames, and smelling all charcoal-y for the sake of dinner. If we had a gas grill, I’d be all over it, but the one thing my husband has a strong opinion on is our grill, which means he plays outdoor grill master, which is more than fine by me.
I love burgers any day of the week; Beefy burgers, chicken burgers, turkey burgers. So when Jennie-O sent me two boxes of their Seasoned Turkey Burgers to try out, I wanted to challenge myself. Because to be honest, I’m fine with a patty with the classic ingredients when I’m in a hurry – esp for weekday lunches. I wasn’t sure if I’d like these turkey burgers as much as I like making my own from ground turkey. But I did! They are insanely easy to make, and if you don’t have a grill, or a grillmaster named Jason, you can pan fry or even broil, and they’re just as good.
Since turkey is more lean than beef, I wanted a light taste with fresh, crisp flavors for my burgers. I have two words for you: WHIPPED FETA. Holy flavor, friends. I love that I can whip this spread up on Sunday in the food processor, and use it all week long for Whipped Feta Turkey Burgers. I have always wanted to whip feta into a cheesy, creamy spread, but never got around to it. Most recipes I could find called for feta cheese, and cream cheese. I love cream cheese, but I wanted my fat to come from the feta and maybe a healthy oil, like olive oil. So I drizzled in olive oil a tablespoon at a time, until I found the consistency that I liked. OMG, it’s so so good! You could use avocado oil too, and it’d be just as tasty.
Most weekdays, I like to enjoy this Whipped Feta Turkey Burger over lettuce as a wrap, but a toasted bun (or grilled – so much tasty, smoky flavor) is also amazing, and worth the extra carbs every now and then – trust me.
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 3-4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- fresh lemon juice, from ½ fresh lemon
- 1-2 tbsp dill
- 4 Jennie-o Seasoned Turkey Burgers
- 4 tbsp whipped feta
- lettuce, tomato, onion, buns. etc
- To a food processor, add in feta cheese, 2 tbsp olive oil, and lemon juice. Pulse into creamy. Slowly add in 1-2 more tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil if a creamier texture is desired. Top with dill, if desired. Feta spread can be made 1-2 days in advance.
- On preheated grill over medium heat, place burgers 4 inches from heat source for 9-10 minutes per side (turning twice) and until fully cooked to 165 F.
- Remove burgers from grill. Top each burger with 1 tbsp of whipped feta, and your favorite burger toppings!
Disclosure: As a member of the Jennie-O Switch Circle, I did receive free product from Jennie-O. No compensation for recipe development was exchanged. All opinions are my own.