This past weekend, we went out to celebrate Jason’s bar results with a handful of friends. We started out at The Pub for happy hour drinks, and then a local sports bar for grub. That’s my guy; celebrating his new attorney status, with a plate of chicken wings 😉
I opted for a fall-esque salad with autumn fruits, and grilled chicken. The menu boasted an apple cider vinaigrette that got me excited to try. Sadly, when my salad arrived, the dressing was way too sweet. It was not good. I should have ate Jason’s chicken wings, instead. Womp.
All weekend, I have craved a salad full of fruit, and a tangy, but slightly sweet dressing to toss it all in. So I made my own. #duh. This Pear, Apple, and Blue Cheese Chicken Salad is packed with seasonal fruit, blue cheese crumbles, and walnut pieces. It was light, but filling, and the vinaigrette is SO good.
This is a great salad for weekday lunches, and will get you through four days this week. If you’re prepping ahead, I’d make these using mason jars to ensure freshness. I used a mix of butter lettuce, and romaine. Any salad green you like will work for this salad! You could also use kale, if you’d like.
If you’re eating paleo, you could forgo the blue cheese crumbles, to keep this Pear, Apple, and Blue Cheese Chicken Salad compliant. If you don’t like blue cheese (I’m sorry), gorgonzola, or feta would be just as tasty. I grilled chicken breast in a grillpan, but you could slow-cook it and shred, or even use a rotisserie chicken – keep it simple, friends.
My sad overpriced salad at a restaurant cost me $14.50, plus tip. This Pear, Apple, and Blue Cheese Chicken Salad prepped at home will run about $4.00 per serving, and you know exactly what is in it – enjoy!
Tools I used to make this recipe:
Cost for this entire meal: $13.85
Per Serving: $3.46
- 10 ounces greens of choice (romaine, butter lettuce, kale, etc)
- 1-lb. chicken breast, grilled (leftover chicken or rotisserie will also work for this)
- 2 medium pears, sliced thin
- 2 medium apples, cubed
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Divide salad mix among four plates/storage containers. Layer each serving with 4-ounces chicken, pears, and apples. Toss with 2 tbs of apple cider vinaigrette (recipe to follow below). Top with blue cheese crumbles, and walnut pieces. If prepping for lunches, wait to toss in dressing until ready to eat.
- To a mason jar, or small bowl whisk together all ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to toss over salads.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website.