Of all the fish out there, salmon was once my least favorite. It looked weird, it smelled like fish, and I had no earthly clue how to prepare it. Then one day in February last year, frozen salmon fillets were on sale, and I thought, “Let’s give this a try.” Thank goodness I gave in, because now salmon is one of my most favorite fishes to prepare at Casa de Crews!
Today for #SundaySupper, we’re sharing heart healthy recipes since February is Hearth Month [thanks to Ethel, and Lori for hosting!]. What better way to showcase my new salmon cooking skillz than with a Salmon Caesar Salad?!
I’m using romaine lettuce, but I know this salad would be delish with kale as well – use whatever green you like. The homemade dressing and pan seared salmon really make this dish.
We’re currently on our 2nd Whole 30, so this recipe doesn’t have croutons or cheese, feel free to add if you like. But I am not kidding when I say this dressing is so good, that you don’t even need those additions!
- 2 salmon fillets
- 1-2 Tbsp ghee, or butter
- 1 head romaine, chopped
- 1 can anchovies, drained
- 4 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a food processor, blend together the anchovies, mustard, egg yolk, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice.
- Turn the food processor on low and slowly pour in the olive oil until the dressing emulsifies.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix all together.
- Liberally salt and pepper salmon. Heat a tablespoon or two of ghee in skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salmon, skin-side-down, and then turn down the heat to medium-low. Gently press each piece of salmon, to allow skin to crisp evenly.Cook for 6 minutes or until the crispy skin releases from the surface of the skillet.
- Mix 2 Tbsp of homemade Caesar to romaine.
- Top lettuce with pan seared salmon.
See what other heart healthy recipes we’re sharing, below:
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers and snacks:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.