The perfect sweet treat, that’s guilt-free, grain-free, and tasty! This Flourless Almond Cake is topped with fresh strawberries and a simple whipped cream from coconut – it’s a beautiful dessert, with lots of healthy perks!
This post is sponsored by the Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Happy Valentine’s Day, friends! There is so much hype around today, and I totally get it. I’d be lying if I told you I don’t at least expect a card from Jason. I mean if I am being realllllly honest, I hope for maybe just a little more. But at the same time, that man surprises me when I least expect it, so hoping for something extra today is probably not going to happen, and that’s okay!
Our first Valentine’s Day together, Jason took me to a fancy schmancy dinner, and bought me some over the top gifts. I thought that was what I always wanted, until I got it and then I felt bad that he wasted his money. That was eight years ago…since then, we usually do celebrate Vday but nothing crazy.
Tonight, we’re actually going to a Tampa Bay Lightning game, and while that may or may not sound romantique to you, it’s something we rarely get to do anymore. We’re both so busy that just hanging together is what we need on days like today. Attending a hockey game for Valentine’s Day has been a tradition more years than not. Never did I think that a hockey game would be my love language, but with my guy, it totally is. Or rather, hockey games on Valentine’s Day with the hubs are his love language, but making a healthy dessert with fresh, local, good for you produce? Well, that’s mine. <3
Whether you have a romantical (it’s a word) person to celebrate today with, kiddos, or your fave gals, a Flourless Almond Cake is a sweet way to celebrate today without going crazy on sugar. I love using almond flour, and have been on the hunt for the perfect Almond Cake that is flourless and omits cane sugar. Believe it or not, that was a hard recipe to find…but I found it (from this cookbook). This cake on its own was moist, sweet (but not too sweet), and so light tasting! But it needed something….of course Fresh from Florida strawberries!
After my trip in January to learn more about Florida strawberries, I thought for today’s recipe I would get a little creative…but then, sometimes a naked strawberry is all you need to compliment a dish! And fresh strawberries with a bit of whipped cream from coconut milk is just different enough to wow your fave Valentine, while remaining a healthy treat!
I’d rather indulge with a cocktail and/or the main event, and keep dessert light and healthy, since it only takes eight medium strawberries to get in your daily requirement of Vitamin C. #holla
This Flourless Almond Cake is sweetened naturally with raw honey (and fresh strawberries!). The whipped coconut milk is dairy-free, and super easy to make – and makes this entire dessert not only Paleo friendly, but low-carb, “skinny”, and gluten-free for the loved ones in your life that can’t tolerate it. Oh, and p.s. it’s just reallllllly good in general.
- 4 large eggs, room temperature, seperated
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1¾ cups almond meal
- Fresh from Florida strawberries, for garnish
- 1 (13-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 packet Splenda (or other sugar substitute)
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a 9-inch springform pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, honey, vanilla, baking soda, salt and almond meal, until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, using a hand blender, beat the egg whites on high until they are foamy, forming soft (not stiff) peaks, about 2 minutes. Add the egg yolk almond-meal mixture and gently fold in together until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into prepared pan and bake until the cake is golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then carefully run a knife around the edges of the cake, and remove carefully from outer ring. Leave cake on rack to cool completely.
- Use a spatula to remove the cake from bottom of pan,once cooled.
- Place the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator at least 24 hours before making the whipped cream, so it is well chilled.
- Chill a metal bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Take the coconut milk out of the refrigerator and remove the lid.
- Gently scoop out the coconut fat, placing it in the chilled bowl.
- Pour the remaining liquid into a glass jar and store in the refrigerator, saving it for another use, if desired (like smoothies!).
- Using your hand blender, whip the coconut milk fat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Whip in the honey, vanilla extract, splenda, and salt.
For more healthy strawberry recipes celebrating Valentine’s Day, visit the #SundaySupper Pinterest board and snag more recipes, below:
- Sparkling Strawberry Sangria from Family Foodie
- Strawberry-Basil Spritzer from Eat Picks
- Strawberry and Cream Smoothie from Flour On My Face
- Frozen Strawberry Lemonade from Love and Confections
- Strawberry Shortcake Milkshake from Ruffles & Truffles
- Skillet Baked Strawberry Oatmeal from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberry Banana Hazelnut Crepes from The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry Coffee Cake with Greek Yogurt from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sweetheart Strawberry Scones from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Basil, Brie and Strawberry Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chef Salad with Strawberry Croutons from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Herbed Strawberry Salad from Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Waldorf Salad from Food Done Light
- Balsamic Strawberry Walnut Pizza with Fresh Mozzarella and Basil from Soni’s Food
- Mahi Mahi with Strawberry Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Mole Chicken from Curious Cuisiniere
- Dark Chocolate Strawberry Parfaits from Daily Dish Recipes
- Flourless Almond Cake with Strawberries and Coconut Cream from Casa de Crews
- Strawberry Cannoli from Palatable Pastime
- Triple Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
Plus: Nutritious Fresh Strawberry Recipes plus Strawberry Almond Milk from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.