After today’s recipe, I think I have covered every single Greek-esque food I eat on a regular basis. Living in Tampa, means we’re about a half hour from Tarpon Springs, a city with the highest percentage of Greek Americans in the country. I may not be Greek, but thanks to Tarpon, my standards are h.i.g.h.
But I obviously can’t eat out everyday, so I will often make grilled chicken souvlkai, gyro meatballs, and Greek Salads. Like Italian food I love so much, it’s all about freshness and flavor.
…and homemade tzatziki, because I legit put it on everything. Chicken Souvlaki, is just fancy for grilled chicken – it’s a technique, really. Though at Casa de Crews, I just use a grill pan 🙂
This chicken can be tossed over salad, in a pita, or as is. But my fave way to bulk it up is in a rice bowl (with lemon rice #duh). You could also use quinoa or cauliflower rice. Really the main attraction is the chicken.
I am not kidding when I tell you I love tzatziki, so for added flavor, I will sometimes marinate my chicken in a few tablespoons of homemade tzatziki – and it’s sooooo good; not biased, right?
Everything for these Souvlaki Bowls can be made ahead of time, which makes it easier to
inhale enjoy for lunch or dinner.
- Homemade Tzatziki
- (2) 8-ounce container plain Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup English cucumber, diced very fine (regular cucumber will also work)
- 2 lemons, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Chicken Souvlaki Rice Bowls
- 1lb chicken breast
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1 cup tzatziki sauce
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1 artichoke hearts, diced
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- To a bowl, mix all ingredients well. Chill for at least 30 minutes, up to several hours for flavor.
- To a bowl, or disposable bag, add chicken, 1 cup of tzatiki sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well to marinate. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat your non-stick skillet or grill pan on medium-high heat. Once hot, add marinated chicken, and grill about 4-5 minutes, each side.
- Remove chicken from grill pan, and dice.
- To a bowl, add rice, feta cheese, cucumber, tomato, artichoke hearts, and kalamata olives. Add additional tzatziki, if desired. Enjoy!