I like my baked goods semi-homemade. Give me a savory dinner, and I can knock a meal out with little issues, but ask me to make just about any dessert from scratch, and panic sets in. I think it’s because you have to be pretty exact when it comes to baking.
I can make a pie from scratch, but…why? I take that back. I make Apple Pie from scratch once a year at Thanksgiving, and that is it. Beyond that, I am all about pre-made dough for a little help.
I am obsessed with hand pies. I love pie, but find it to be a tedious task. But hand pies…are perfect portion control, and can be eaten on the go. Blueberries are in season for spring, and I love them for these hand pies. A batch of Blueberries and Cream Hand Pies are the perfect dessert to end any Memorial Day shindig you’re attending or hosting this weekend.
I originally thought about making homemade blueberry jam to stuff fill these hand pies, but since I’m using puff pastry, which is easy to work with, why make anything about this dessert complicated? Fresh berries, mixed with fresh lemon juice, and a generous schmear of cream cheese – these are the perfect bite for for spring and summer!
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of nutmeg
- dash of almond extract (Less than 1/8 tsp, just a tiny splash)
- Thawed Puff Pastry Sheets (2)
- 1 egg, whisked and beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine blueberries, lemon juice and almond extract.
- Gently unfold one puff pastry sheet. Press inner folds to reattach if necessary.
- Using a round cutter, or glass, press into puff pastry sheet and turn the glass back and forth to cut a circle out of the pastry sheet. This will create rounds of approx 3″.Continue until 10 circles have been cut from the sheets.
- Place 5 circles to a parchment-lined baking sheet, with at least one inch in between the circles.
- Spread 1 tbsp of cream cheese to each circle. Top with blueberry mixture in the middle of each circle. Top with another puff pastry circle, and then press their edges together with fingers.Seal edges with fork dipped in whisked egg. Cut a cross in the top of the hand pie to allow for venting.Gently brush top of hand pies with whisked egg.
- Bake a 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and allow to cool 10 minutes before enjoying.
For more easy recipes using Puff Pastry, visit their Pinterest board!