Shredded beef braised with a spicy blend of cumin, chipotle powder, garlic and oregano. This barbacoa is great protein for all of your Mexican inspired meals, made in your favorite pressure cooker!
Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner, and while I love chips y salsa, guac, and tequila, I need a little bit of balance as well. Enter: Shredded Beef Barbacoa. I made this on Monday midday (perks of working from home on Mondays, FTW) in my Instant Pot (any pressure cooker will do), and it was ready in a little over an hour. Do you know how long this takes in the slow-cooker? Seven hours. Which, if you put this in before work isn’t a bad idea, but if you’re making this over the weekend for Burrito Bowls ala Chipotle, you’re going to want to make this in your Instant Pot!
I could have provided the slow-cooker method, and the Instant Pot recipe in one post, but apparently I already made a slow-cooker recipe…FOUR years ago. I completely forgot. The photos are sad, you guys. But the recipe is the same, regardless.
So! This Shredded Beef Barbacoa? It’s good any day of the week, and makes twelve servings (at 4-ounces/serving) so you can freeze it if you like, or eat it all week. You do you. It’s also perfect for a party, like Cinco de Mayo. We’re actually going to celebrate in Downtown Dunedin with friends (it’s tradition), but I’m making nachos beforehand, with this Shredded Beef Barbacoa, and a pitcher of beer margs before we uber away.
During the work week, I like to toss this barbacoa over a salad, with corn salsa, and an avocado ranch dressing dip thingy that I make at the beginning of the week. And also, my salad gets topped with a bit of cheese, obvi.
This Shredded Beef Barbacoa is super inexpensive to prepare, especially considering it gives you twelve servings. I use an bottom round roast, which is a little more tough (pretty common for a more bargain roast like this), and since we’re cooking it in the Instant Pot, I cut the roast into large chunks and marinate for at least an hour before cooking. You don’t have to do this, if you don’t want to. It will still be incredibly flavorful, but if you have the time to marinate, the chicken stock (can sub water, but you will need liquid for your IP), and lime juice will help to tenderize this roast.
Bonus: This Barbacoa is low-carb (keto), and paleo friendly! It’s a very clean recipe – and you can keep it that way depending on how you serve it. Enjoy, friends!
Items used to make this recipe:
shredded beef barbacoa
- 3 lb center cut shoulder roast, boneless
- 2 tablespoons ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil - or avocado oil
- pepper, to taste
- cilantro, to garnish - optional
- First make the marinade; Combine the chipotle pepper, onion, lime juice, tomato paste, garlic cloves, vinegar, cumin, salt, and oregano in a food processor, or blender. Process until smooth.
- Trim any excess fat off of roast, and cut into 2 or 3-inch pieces.
- Using the saute button on your Instant Pot, add the oil and brown the meat, in batches on all sides (approx 5 minutes). Add the sauce from the blender, chicken stock, and bay leaves.
- Cover, and cook on high pressure for 60 minutes. Let pressure release naturally, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the beef from the liquid and shred with two forks. Return to IP, and season to taste with any additional salt and pepper, if needed. Garnish with cilantro.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.