Light and tangy, crunchy and fresh, enjoy this low carb Cilantro Lime Coleslaw recipe all summer long. Perfect for potlucks too!
When I was a kid, I detested coleslaw. It just seemed like a pointless side; I was always about that potato salad life. But as I’ve gotten older, I love coleslaw – especially in the summer, alongside all the grilled meats (but also, you can still give me potato salad).
I think part of what I didn’t like was how fine and sweet the slaw was that we had growing up. It just didn’t work for me. I’m more of a tangy slaw girl with a creamy coleslaw dressing that isn’t too sweet.
My go-to coleslaw recipe is just a classic slaw I have made for y e a r s. It’s made with fresh cabbage; red and green, and shredded carrots. This Cilantro Lime Coleslaw is pretty close to my classic, but with fresh cilantro chopped throughout. It gives it an extra fresh flavah that I love so much!
For this Cilantro Lime Coleslaw I used my food processor to shred purple cabbage and then also mixed in a bag of pre-shredded cabbage mix (green cabbage and carrots). You can shred it all yourself if you like, or buy all pre-shredded. Whatever works for you, friend. It’s summer, and we want good food without stressing ourselves out in the kitch. or without having to wash too many dishes 😉
My classic coleslaw recipe calls for a little apple cider vinegar in the dressing, but for this one we’ll use fresh lime juice for acidity, which pairs really well with the fresh cilantro in this coleslaw. This Cilantro Lime Coleslaw is a great side of my Brown Butter Lime Cod too.
I made my own mayo for the coleslaw dressing, but again do what works for you. Store bought is also fine. I did use one teaspoon of Splenda to sweeten. If you’re a devout keto follower, you could swap the Splenda for Swerve (Erythritol). If you’re going for a more paleo slaw, you can sweeten with a little raw honey instead.
This low-carb coleslaw recipe will be a hit at any and all summer shindigs you’re hosting, or invited to this summer!
Items used to make this recipe:
Cilantro Lime Coleslaw
- 1/4 purple cabbage chopped
- 1- 16 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar - or honey
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To a large bowl, add purple cabbage, coleslaw mix and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, Splenda, celery seed, and mustard powder. Pour dressing over cabbage. Mix until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving for flavors to blend. The longer this chills, the better the flavor!
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.