Juicy grilled sirloin steak gets a kick of flavor with cumin spice. Topped with a fresh avocado salsa for healthy fats, with a Mexican twist.
Sundays in the summer are my favorite; Jason plays grillmaster and I only need to worry about sides. We usually base our protein off of what’s on sale for the week, grill it – then prep and go. It’s so easy, and I love the smokiness that comes from meat on the grill. There is seriously nothing like it.
My favorite cut of beef is actually the ribeye (or filet mignon), but sirloin steak – as well as flat iron steak are both inexpensive cuts of beef that are perfect for a quick and easy, weeknight dinner. It’s all about that good seasoning, yo’. A little goes a long way, esp when you’re grilling out, but still you want a decent rub packed with flavah. Cumin is a spice I use often in the kitchen, and making a quick rub using said cumin to sprinkle over my sirloin steak is a no-brainer.
Other recipes I love using cumin:
Do you know what else is a no-brainer? Avocado s a l s a. Fresh, diced avos mixed with lime juice, a little more cumin, cilantro and tomatoes. Onion too, if you’re into that sort of thing. I don’t do raw onions.
This Cumin Rubbed Sirloin Steak can easily be made in a grill pan, but outside grilling will add a depth of flavor that is perfect for summer. You could also use the cumin spice rub on another cut of meat, but other cuts don’t always need as much spice, so it’s all a matter of personal preference.
This avo salsa tho? It’s good on everything and anything! I like to make a batch and store in a mason jar to make sure this salsa stays fresh (and that the avocados don’t brown). I like to add a side of roasted broccoli, or sweet potato fries to finish this meal. A filling salad [like this one] would work too. Bonus: this meal is clean AF, paleo, whole 30, and low-carb approved. I’m on Day 9 of my current Whole30, and this is a dinner I could eat weekly.
cumin rubbed sirloin steak with avocado salsa
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika - can use regular paprika if you don't have smoked
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil - can also use evoo
- 1 lb sirloin steaks - each steak should be approx 4 ounces
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced - haas suggested
- 1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To a small bowl, or ramekin combine spices to form rub. Set aside.
- Remove steak from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature, about 10 minutes. Right before grilling, brush steaks with avocado oil, and generously coat each steak with rub.
- Heat your outdoor grill or a grill pan (indoors) to high. Add steak then grill for 3-4 minutes per side, depending on how thick your steak is and your desired doneness.
- Remove from grill, and allow steak to rest 10 minutes before slicing - against the grain.
- To a bowl, add all ingredients and mix well. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Spoon over cumin steaks.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.