Steak and Pepper Foil Packets, loaded with onions and potatoes, come together for one quick and easy, delicious grilled dinner ready in under 30 minutes!
Foil packets on the grill are summer’s equivalent to a fall or winter sheet pan supper; slice your favorite protein, dice your go-to veggies, mix well and bake or grill. These dinners could not be easier! And there’s just something about that smoky taste only the grill can give you, isn’t there? That’s one of the reason I love foil packs on the grill so much.
Plus, hi – follow packets make for easy post dinner cleanup!
How to make Steak and Pepper Foil Packets on the Grill:
This Foil Pack Dinner is incredibly customizable.
- You can use any cut of steak you like, but we love sirloin steak because they’re inexpensive and pretty versatile.
- The recipe calls for three bell peppers – use any colors you like! I used red bell peppers when photographing this recipe, but I’ve used orange and yellow as well. You can use any bell peppers you like.
- Speaking of yellow, I prefer sweet yellow onions, but you can sub in white or red onions, as well.
- Dice red potatoes small for even cooking. If you’re trying to stay away from carbs, feel free to omit potatoes altogether.
You’ll want to use nonstick cooking spray on the foil to avoid your steak and veggies from sticking. But, you’ll also toss the steak + diced veggies with olive oil (can also use avocado oil) so that nothing burns over those grill flames.
I like to toss the steak and veggies with a few dried pantry spices, before grilling. And then this next step is completely optional, but we like to garnish these Steak and Pepper Foil Packets with fresh parsley and a little crushed red pepper, once they’re off the grill. You do YOU.
How to Fold Foil Packets
You’ll want to have heavy duty aluminum foil + non stick cooking spray, to start.
- Pull out a sheet of foil that is approx 12-inches long. Spray sheet with nonstick spray. You’ll do this four (4) times for this recipe.
- Once all the ingredients are prepped, stir them together in a large bowl with olive oil and spices, then divide the mixture evenly among large sheets of heavy-duty foil that have been coated with cooking spray.
- To close each packet, gather the long edges of the foil and crimp, then fold up the ends.
- Fold edges down, about 1/2 inch along the entire length of the foil. Make to sure there is a little space between the food and the foil so heat can build up inside the packet to cook.
- Press short edges together and fold over once to create another 1/2 inch space.
- Grill and enjoy!
These Steak and Pepper Foil Packets on the grill are perfect for the weekend – esp since they take less than 30-minutes and can be prepped ahead of time. Have friends or family over and toss these on the grill, make a cocktail while they cook and then dig in!
These Foil Packets are also really great for weekly meal prep. This time of year, we love to grill a ton of protein during the week and just worry about sides. These Foil Packets are a complete meal which honestly just make Monday dinners a little easier, right?
This recipe is easy to double for a large family with leftovers too – enjoy!
other recipes for the grill:
- Italian Sausage + Pepper Foil Packets
- Cajun Shrimp + Sausage Foil Packets
- Juicy Grilled Turkey Burgers
Steak and Pepper Foil Packets
- 1 lb sirloin steak, cubed into 2-inch pieces - any cut of steak will do
- 2 cups baby red potatoes, quartered - omit for lower carbs
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 medium bell peppers, thinly sliced - any color pepper will do
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Fresh parsley - for garnish - optional
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, for garnish - optional
- Heat grill on medium-high (approximately 400F). While grill preheats, prep foil packs. Using heavy duty foil, tear 4 sheets of foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a chef’s knife, quarter potatoes, dice onion, and slice peppers. Cube sirloin into approx 2-inch chunks. Combine steak and chopped veggies in a medium bowl, with olive oil, minced garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture evenly into each the prepared sheet of foil: four total, and make a pack, wrapping the mixture in each foil pack.
- Grill foil packs for 25-30 minutes, until veggies are tender. Remove from heat and top with fresh parsley and crushed red pepper, if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.