Has anyone already gave up on their New Year’s resolutions? I actually didn’t make any resolutions this year. I did however, make a list of goals for 2016. One of those goals was to lose 30lbs. I never actually set a number when I am attempting to lose weight. But I wrote it out, put it out into the universe (#kumbaya and all that jazz), and now…it’s out there – along with other wishes I have for 2016.
You guys already know for the most part we omit processed foods, and refined carbs at Casa de Crews (though if you followed me on instagram or snapchat (—>@casadecrews) this weekend, you know I made alllllll the exceptions), so I try and make substitutions when I can.
Enter Cauliflower Fried “Rice” – the low-carb alternative to rice. I love steamed brown rice as a side, but sometimes I like it too much, and using cauli lowers calories, and/or carbs if you’re into that sort of thing 😉
I love Nom Nom Paleo’s version (um, you add bacon), but don’t always have fresh ginger or fish sauce on hand, so my recipe is only slightly adapted. But the inspiration (again, BACON) totally came from her.
- 1 small head of cauliflower, separated in florets
- 3 slices of bacon, diced (uncured, nitrate free suggested)
- 2 large eggs
- 1-inch knob of ginger, grated OR 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce OR coconut aminos
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a food processor, pulse cauliflower until pieces resemble rice.
- To a skillet, add bacon on medium heat. Fry until small bits of bacon are crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan, and add to a paper towel (to absorb excess fat).
- Whisk eggs and add to the hot bacon grease in skillet making a thin egg omelet. Remove egg from skillet, slice thinly, and set it aside.
- Add cauliflower to a skillet with ginger, coconut aminos, salt and pepper. Cook 4-5 minutes, and immediately from heat.
- Top with scallions (green onions) if desired for garnish.
Happy Monday. #eatyourveggies #andbacon