Cheese is pretty much my all-time favorite food. Bread (um, all carbs?) is a close second. While I seem to be okay with only occasionally eating bread, I beg you not to ask me to give up cheese, please.
I’m not sure how I didn’t know it, but April is National Grilled Cheese Month – you read that right; month. Not a day, my friends. An entire month devoted to honoring the Grilled Cheese Sandwich! That has to mean everyone loves the Grilled Cheese Sandwich as much as I do.
As a kid, my favorite lunch was a Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich that I could dunk in a bowl of Tomato Soup, after playing outside, in the snow. This sammie consisted of the processed American Cheese that comes in a wrapper, and the canned soup that you simply add water to. It was quite tasty for a kid, and still a fond food memory of mine, but my tastes, oh how they have changed.
As an adult, I still like a good ol’ Hot Ham and Cheese like my mom used to make, but now opt for a more grown-up version with a better quality of ingredients. And wine, because remember, I’m all grown up now. 🙂
So what is my version of the perfect grown-up Hot Ham and Cheese? A nutty Gruyère, thinly sliced, salty prosciutto, and tomato to pay homage to the Tomato Soup that I love!
Gruyère cheese’s texture reminds me of fresh Parmesan Cheese, and so shredding this cheese is definitely best, which is only something I learned after a bit of trial and error. If you slice the cheese, it takes longer to melt (and therefore to eat).
And since it is National Grilled Cheese Month, we’re partnering with Gallo Family Vineyards today to celebrate! Because, I mean really wine and cheese go together, like…well, cheese and bread, right?! Make sure to visit their Grilled Cheese blog post to snag all kinds of yummy sandwich recipes, paired with Gallo Family wine!
There are two wines I love with this grilled cheese; A glass of Gallo Family’s Pinor Noir, since this nutty Gruyère is great with a light-bodied red wine, like a Pinot Noir. And also, I just love a good glass of Pinot.
However, I also love a chilled glass of Gallo Family’s White Merlot, with this Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Its luscious fruit and a light body pair well with spicy foods, as well as ham. While this grilled cheese isn’t spicy, the smoky, salty flavor from the prosciutto is be-yond tasty with a glass of White Merlot (Find your next bottle of Gallo Family, here), though now I think I need to challenge myself to create a spicy grilled cheese to pair with this wine. Decisions, decisions…
Happy National Grilled Cheese Month! What is your favorite type of grilled cheese sandwich?
- 1-2 tablespoon butter for the pan/spreading on bread slices
- 4 slices bread, any kind
- 1/2 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 6-8 slices prosciutto
- 4-6 slices tomato
- Butter one slice of bread on one sides and set aside. Using a skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Let the butter melt completely and then lay your slice of buttered bread into the skillet and layer bread in the following order: grated Gruyère cheese, 2-3 slices prosciutto, tomato slices, leftover cheese (optional). Cover the skillet with a lid and let the cheese melt before adding second slice of buttered bread.
- Butter one side of the second slice of bread. Place the bread on top and press down with spatula. Flip sandwich to other side to begin toasting. Just like pancakes, don't over flip! Low, and slow will make for a toasty, cheesy, tasty sandwich. Enjoy!
- Bacon Inverted Grilled Cheese by Brunch with Joy
- BBQ Pulled Pork and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Brie, Raspberry and Honey Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Egg Prosciutto Grilled Cheese by Magnolia Days
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by The Redhead Baker
- Garlicky Anaheim Pepper Grilled Cheese by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Kale Grilled Cheese by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Havarti with Onion Jam by Nosh My Way
- Grilled Gruyère on Rye with Crisped Sage and Pink Lady Slices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Longaniza Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Peaceful Cooking
- Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Bacon Jam Grilled Cheese by Feed Me, Seymour
- Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Grilled Cheese by Casa de Crews
- Twenty Ways to Make Grilled Cheese plus Wine Pairings on the Sunday Supper Movement website
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement.
*Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.