This easy Winter Salad with Fig Jam Balsamic Vinaigrette recipe is full of fresh greens and winter fruits tossed in a sweet and tangy vinaigrette!
Winter Salad with Fig Jam Balsamic Vinaigrette
This salad is a good one and I’m not just saying it because I made it for you. It’s the perfect side salad when you’re in a rush with dinner during the week and makes a great side to any holiday menu.
My favorite part about this tasty winter salad is how easy it is to swap out ingredients and use what already have on hand.
easy swaps to make this salad
This Winter Salad with Fig Jam Balsamic Vinaigrette is such an easy salad recipe, but in case you want to change it up, here are some ideas:
- 6 cups mixed greens of choice: baby romaine or baby kale, lacinato kale, curly endive or spinach.
- 1 cup walnuts: or pecans, almond slivers, or pistachios.
- 1 cup dried cranberries: or golden raisins, dried cherries, etc.
- 8 ounces goat cheese: swap for gorgonzola or even blue cheese.
- arils from one pomegranate – can use a fresh pom, or buy these store-bought.
But really, it’s a wonderful salad to bring for any holiday dinner – or any event you need a quick dish for. I used baby romaine, goat cheese (how I love thee), walnuts, cranberries, and pomegranate arils and the flavors are SO fresh and tangy with loads of texture.
If you’re looking to change up your salad game for lunch or dinner for something seasonal, add chicken or salmon to make this recipe a complete meal.
Fig Jam Balsamic Vinaigrette
This vinaigrette is out of of this world tangy and sweet and creamy, thanks to the blender. ANY blender will do, and most often for easy things like this, I’ll just use a smoothie blender, but any brand will do here.
Or you can whisk vigorously to get that creamy (emulsified) texture.
Most homemade dressings I make call for either a little raw honey, or we forgo the sweeteners altogether. But for this recipe, we use 2-tablespoons of fig jam and it’s the perfect addition to this salad recipe!
You can easily make your own fig jam or feel free to use store-bought. Whatever is easiest for you.
winter salad with fig jam balsamic vinaigrette
- 6 cups mixed greens of choice - I used a baby romaine mix
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries - sugar free, suggested
- 8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- arils from one pomegranate - can use a fresh pom, or buy these store-bought
fig jam balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup avocado oil - can also use olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fig jam - (preserves)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To a large salad bowl, add the greens, walnuts, dried cranberries and pomegranate arils, Mix to combine. This can be made ahead of time, if desired. When ready to serve, top with goat cheese, if using, and toss vinaigrette (recipe to follow), to salad mix. Salad can easily be prepped in advance (wait to toss in dressing until ready to serve)
fig jam balsamic vinaigrette
- In a blender, add oil, balsamic vinegar, fig jam, and salt and pepper until combined and creamy (emulsified).
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.