An elevated twist on the classic chicken salad recipe, these Apple Tarragon Chicken Salad Bites are served on slices of apple making them the perfect party appetizer!
There are times when I just need an easy appetizer recipe that I can whip up without thinking much about it. Something everyone already loves, but that’s isn’t complicated to make. These Apple Tarragon Chicken Salad Bites fit the bill!
Serving classic chicken salad on Envy™ apple slices instead of a cracker or crostini make these bites deliciously grain-free and healthy! Plus, just serving over apple slices will up the presentation making people think you worked really hard, when you didn’t have to. I’m so into this.
Chicken Salad over apple slices also keeps this appetizer whole30 compliant and paleo friendly.
What kind of apples slices to use
Truth be told, you can use any apple to make these Apple Tarragon Chicken Salad Bites, but you’ll want to make sure to toss in fresh lemon juice, to avoid browning.
OR you can use Envy™ apples. The reason I love Envy™ apples for this recipe is because they are slow to brown – which hi. hello. makes them perfect for a party appetizer this time of year.
Last month, I teamed up with Publix and Envy™ apples to share my Apple Tarragon Chicken Salad Bites in-store. It was really exciting to have the chefs of the Publix Aprons Cooking School at Citrus Park recreate my recipe to share with shoppers.
The biggest question I received from samplers was, “Why don’t these brown as fast? Are they GMO?” and they almost always said the word, “GMO” knowingly, like they knew they were. But no, Envy™ apples are non-GMO. Envy™ have naturally higher citric acid content which prevents the ‘browning’ enzyme from activating; they’re a cross between Braeburn and Royal Gala and are non-GMO, grown naturally in Washington State and New Zealand. Find your Envy™ apples here.
What kind of chicken to use
Any type of shredded chicken will be your go-to for these Apple Tarragon Chicken Salad Bites.
- You can shred chicken breast in the slow-cooker or pressure cooker.
- leftover rotisserie chicken is a great choice too.
- You can also use canned chicken breast in a pinch.
Classic Chicken Salad is typically made with chicken (obvi), mayo and fruit; grapes or apples, cranberries or raisins with something crunchy like celery or onions.
To elevate this chicken salad recipe, I like to make a very easy Tarragon Mayonnaise! The Tarragon Mayonnaise can be made ahead of time 1-2 days and used right before assembling.
Apple Tarragon Chicken Salad is perfect for an easy lunch or lower carb snack as-is, but serving over apple slices make for an easy party appetizer that’s perfect for entertaining. One batch of Apple Tarragon Chicken Salad with make twenty (20) bites with two apples, sliced – enjoy!
Apple Tarragon Chicken Salad Bites
- 1 cup mayonnaise - store bought or homemade
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh tarragon - finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 small shallot - finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch fine sea salt
- 2 cups shredded chicken - chicken breast or rotisserie chicken work best for this recipe
- 1 Envy apple - finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery - finely chopped
- ⅓ cup pecan halves or pieces
- 2 green onions - scallions, finely chopped
- ¾ - 1 cup Tarragon Mayonnaise
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 Envy apples - sliced into coins (about 10/apple)
- Fresh tarragon or micro greens - for garnish (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, tarragon, shallot, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and salt; whisk to combine. Use immediately or can be made 1-day in advance. Cover; chill until ready to use.
- Slice Envy Apples into thin rounds, ignoring the core. You should get 10 rounds (“coins”) from each apple.
- To a large mixing bowl combine shredded chicken, finely chopped apple, celery, pecans and green onions. Pour in ¾ cup Tarragon Mayonnaise; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. You may need to add up to an additional ¼ cup Tarragon Mayo depending on personal preference.
- Top each apple round with Apple Tarragon Chicken Salad. Garnish with tarragon or microgreens, if desired. Serve immediately.
Thank you to Envy™ for sponsoring today’s post! All opinions are my own. See full disclosure here.
Leave a Reply