Happy Mother’s Day to my fiesty momma (and Happy Birthday to my daddio)! There are so many brunchy recipes out there right now for Mother’s Day – and I love it. But my mom, she isn’t a brunch kind of lady (last year I made her a Greek Chicken Pizza – that she loved, I’m happy to report).
My mom is very set in her ways when it comes to food. Every now and then we can get her to try something new, but sometimes I have to trick her. It comes from a place of love, I promise. Like sometimes I don’t tell her that I used Splenda instead of sugar, or almond meal instead of breadcrumbs. Because if I did, she just wouldn’t eat it.
This Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad is something I ordered at a chain restaurant not that long ago while at dinner with one of my sister’s. I loved the concept, and was excited about the flavors, but it ended up being just so-so, and that made me sad. I was for sure this was a dish I could get my mom to love – especially since the Italian lady in her enjoys similar meals like this.
After a bit of trial and error, I finally nailed this dish. Typically, you may find this recipe made with breadcrumbs of some sort, and fried in oil. But I lightened it up with almond meal (that I bought in bulk on Amazon – WHO HAVE I BECOME?! Clearly, I like cooking with almond flour?), and baked in the oven at 350. The trick to bringing out the flavor was fresh lemon and a teensy bit of olive oil at the very end. I also wanted flavorful bites of bursting tomato to add with the arugula salad to balance the peppery taste from the arugula.
See how the rest of the #SundaySupper crew is celebrating Mother’s Day today!
- Ginger Shandy by Nosh My Way
- La Vie en Rose by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Momma’s Mimosa by Our Good Life
Starters and Salads
- Cheese Bread by Ninja Baker
- Classic Basil Pesto Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Fennel and Radish Citrus Salad by Tasting Page
- Healthy Ham Salad Minis by Momma’s Meals
- Pate with Spiced Pears by The Joyful Foodie
- Pesto Pasta Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Super Sunny Dutch Oven Sourdough by What Smells So Good?
- Blackberry Almond Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by The Crumby Cupcake
- Broccoli Cheddar Frittata with Tomatoes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken and Pepper Rice with Fried Egg by Family Foodie
- Chicken Tajine with Prunes and Almonds by The Petit Gourmet
- Coriander Salmon with Capered Green Beans by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dutch Baby Pancake by Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs and Ramps in Puff Pastry by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mimosa Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mushroom Manchego Cream Filled Crepes by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Arugula Salad by Casa de Crews
- Smoked Salmon & Shaved Asparagus Gruyere Quiche with a Pine Nut Crust by Simply Healthy Family
Treats and Sweets
- 5 Favorite Pancake Toppings by Sunday Supper
- Angel Food Cakes in a Jar by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Black Cow Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake by Noshing With The Nolands
- Bourbon Peach Frozen Yogurt by Food Lust People Love
- Cherry Cheesecake Pastry Braid by The Redhead Baker
- Crustless Creamy Blueberry Swirl Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Deluxe Salted Caramel Turtle Sundae by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Blackberry Mini Tarts by Life Tastes Good
- Lemon Brownies by Pies and Plots
- Lower Fat Peach Cheesecake by Food Done Light
- Mini Chocolate Marshmallow Bombe Soufflé by Nik Snacks
- Mini Lemon Almond Cupcakes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pavlova by The Freshman Cook
- Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Raspberry Mascarpone Mini Tarts by Palatable Pastime
- Rose Apple Custard Tart by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Soft-Baked Lemon Coconut Cookies by One Sweet Mess
- Steamed Strawberry Coconut Poke Cake by Wallflour Girl
- Sunshine Lemon Cake Pop Bouquet by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Triple Chocolate Layer Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook says
Your chicken looks perfect – I don’t think frying it would make it any better. Glad you succeeded in creating the recipe you were hoping for.
Heather Sell says
Really like the idea of using almond flour! Looking forward to giving this a try! #TBB
Great idea to use almond flour! Happy mother’s day!
Joy | The Joyful Foodie says
I hear you, girl. I am all about the almond flour these days. It makes a great substitute for breadcrumbs. Great flavor combos here!
I actually made onion rings with almond meal one night to go with steak my husband was grilling. ALMOND FLOUR ALL THE THINGS, please 🙂
That looks delicious and so much healthier than a breadcrumb version.
…and it tastes the same too. I love all the flavors in this dish!
[email protected] says
I had to laugh when you talked about tricking your mom to eat something new. I have totally done that!! My mom is very much the same. She does not like to try anything new. This looks fantastic, and I know I my mom would love it. Except the arugula – she would draw the line there. haha
Haha, my mom just discovered Whole Foods, and she thinks she is the authority on it now…she is just like that. She comes around eventually… 🙂 And my mom won’t try the arugula either. LOL! How did they have such foodie daughters?
A beautiful plate of simple, delicious food!
Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere says
Now that is some beautifully crusted golden chicken! I could dive right into that plate!
Thanks, Sarah! It is sooo good!
taylor @ greens & chocolate says
YES! I love this simple but elegant dinner! Pinned!
Thanks for pinning, and stopping by Taylor! I hope you love this dinner as much as we do.
SMD @ Life According to Steph says
That looks delicious! I love a simple but beautiful dish.
This looks amazing!! I so need to try it.
It is sooo good, and so easy!
This sounds so yummy!! I’m sure your momma will love it! xx
Audrey | http://www.keygypsy.com
She did love it – phew! Though she was not into the arugula, lol.
Cindys Recipes and Writings says
I never used almond meal as a breading. Yum!
It is just like using Panko or breadcrumbs, but less processed 🙂
What a fabulous meal! Your crusted chicken looks irresistible!
Thanks, Liz! Hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day!
Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily says
What a perfect supper! Love the crust and the baked tomatoes! Happy Mother’s Day!
Thanks so much Gwen!
Kelly @ TastingPage says
What a nice looking salad for any day of the week!
Valerie Cathell Clark says
The added slivers of Parmesan… oh my, this chicken looks delicious! Happy Day! Any mother would love this dish!
susan @ the wimpy vegetarian says
Beautiful dish, Nicole, and it looks so healthy!
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm says
I have never tried almond meal. I will have to keep an eye out for it. Happy Mother’s Day.
This sounds wonderful for any time, but perfect for Mother’s Day too!!
I’d want this parmesan chicken over the tomato-y chicken parmesan any day of the week. So light and wonderful looking. Perfect for summer too.