Smooth, creamy, and perfectly sweet with a touch of fresh tart cherries, this simple frozen yogurt is made with whole ingredients!
Last week, Jason took the bar exam again – and then we immediately jumped on a cruise ship to Mexico. It was GLORIOUS. We laughed a lot, together. We napped, and read. We ate and drank, all the things. I’m not the biggest sweets person, but I totally enjoyed a soft-serve ice cream cone everyday we were on the boat. I’m not even a little sorry about it, you guys.
Though this entire week I have been craving ice cream, something fierce. Vacation is over, and I don’t need daily ice cream – not that I needed it on vacation, but….whatever. When I am craving ice cream, I l.o.v.e. Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia. It’s chocolatey, but not too chocolatey, and always reminds me of summer with chunks of fresh cherry throughout each bite.
I had a ton of leftover cherries that I had frozen, after making these margaritas. I knew at some point this summer, I wanted to try and use them for a dessert. Enter Cherry and Chocolate Frozen Yogurt! This is about as guilt-free as you’re going to get, friends. I know a lot of the time I’ll share a lower-carb, or paleo dish that is tasty, but never quite tastes like the real deal, right? This Cherry and Chocolate Frozen Yogurt, this…is better than Cherry Garcia Ice Cream. I SWEAR.
There is no added sugar, but it is sweetened with raw honey. I also added in shaved chocolate. To shave chocolate, all you need is a chef’s knife; you ‘shave’ against the direction of the chocolate bar to get small slivers! If you don’t feel like taking that step, use any chocolate you prefer (chocolate chips would also work here). I used whole milk Greek yogurt, and one can of coconut milk, for fat, and flavor. If you have an ice cream machine, this will take no time at all to make! If you don’t, you can easily make this no-churn, but it will need to set in freezer overnight.
You don’t have to use frozen cherries, but it definitely helps. Make sure to remove the pits before stirring into this creamy, frozen yogurt!
cherry and chocolate frozen yogurt
- ¾ cup frozen cherries - pits removed
- 2 cups whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 can full fat coconut milk - refrigerated
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup shaved chocolate - any chocolate is fine
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, coconut milk, honey, vanilla and salt. Whisk until well combined then pour the mix into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's directions (usually it will suggest the freezer bowl has been frozen overnight!). Churn for 20-30 minutes, depending on machine.
- Add cherries to ice cream maker toward the end of the churning time so they swirl throughout mix.
- Serve immediately, OR pour it into a container and freeze it for 30 minutes to firm it up. Cover in an airtight container until ready to serve, to avoid freezer burn.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.