Italian Sausage and Pepper Foil Packets, loaded with onions and red potatoes, come together for one quick and easy, delicious dinner ready in under 30 minutes! An easy meal that’s perfect for the grill, with easy cleanup.
Summer is right around the corner, but we’ve already been grilling for weeks at Casa de Crews, which isn’t hard to do when you live in Florida. Though, if you’re a hardcore griller, you’ve also been grilling like us no matter where you live.
Foil packets on the grill are summer’s equivalent to a fall or winter sheet pan supper; slice your favorite protein, dice your go-to veggies, mix well and bake or grill. These dinners could not be easier! And there’s just something about that smoky taste only the grill can give you, isn’t there? That’s one of the reason I love foil packs on the grill so much.
How to make Italian Sausage and Pepper Foil Packets on the Grill:
- You can use any kind of sausage you like, but we love Sweet Italian Sausage – slice the sausage links into coins for quicker grilling.
- The recipe calls for three bell peppers – use any colors you like! I used one red, and one yellow.
- Speaking of yellow, I prefer sweet yellow onions, but you can sub in white or red onions, as well.
- Dice red potatoes small for even cooking. If you’re trying to stay away from carbs, feel free to omit potatoes altogether.
This Foil Pack Dinner is incredibly customizable. I like to use the Sweet Italian Sausage from Sprouts. Sprouts’ handcrafted sausages are freshly ground and handcrafted in store daily; with up to 15 different varieties, you can find the Sweet Italian Sausage in the butcher case at your local Sprouts. If you like a little heat, you can use the Hot Italian Sausage links from Sprouts. Both sausages were on sale the week I went, so I stocked up and froze 2-lbs of fresh sausage from Sprouts to pull out later this summer.
You’ll want to use nonstick cooking spray on the foil to avoid your Italian Sausage and veggies from sticking. But, you’ll also toss the coined sausage + diced veggies with olive oil (can also use avocado oil) so that nothing burns over those grill flames.
I like to toss the sausage and veggies with Italian seasoning, before grilling. And then this next step is completely optional, but we like to garnish these Italian Sausage and Pepper Foil Packets with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley, once they’re off the grill. You do YOU.
How to Fold Foil Packets
You’ll want to have heavy duty aluminum foil + non stick cooking spray, to start.
- Pull out a sheet of foil that is approx 12-inches long. Spray sheet with nonstick spray. You’ll do this four (4) times for this recipe.
- Once all the ingredients are prepped, stir them together in a large bowl with olive oil and spices, then divide the mixture evenly among large sheets of heavy-duty foil that have been coated with cooking spray.
- To close each packet, gather the long edges of the foil and crimp, then fold up the ends.
- Fold edges down, about 1/2 inch along the entire length of the foil. Make to sure there is a little space between the food and the foil so heat can build up inside the packet to cook.
- Press short edges together and fold over once to create another 1/2 inch space.
- Grill and enjoy!
For a step-by-step guide to assemble foil packs, visit my Steak + Pepper Foil Packets post, here.
These Italian Sausage and Pepper Foil Packets on the Grill are perfect for the weekend – esp since they take less than 30-minutes and can be prepped ahead of time. Have friends or family over and toss these on the grill, make a bevvy while they cook and then dig in!
These Foil Packets are also great for weekly meal prep. This time of year, we love to grill a ton of protein during the week and just worry about sides. These Italian Sausage and Pepper Foil Packets are a complete meal which honestly just make Monday a little easier, right. This recipe is easy to double for a large family with leftovers too – enjoy!
other easy dinner ideas:
Italian Sausage and Pepper Foil Packets on the Grill
- 1- lb Sweet Italian Sausage links or you can also use Hot Italian Sausage links
- 2 cups baby red potatoes - quartered
- 1 medium yellow onion - diced
- 3 medium bell peppers - thinly sliced (any color will do!)
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning spice
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Fresh parsley - for garnish (optional)
- Parmesan cheese - grated (optional)
- Heat grill on medium-high heat. While grill preheats, prep foil packs. Using heavy duty foil, tear 4 sheets of foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a chef’s knife, quarter potatoes, dice onion, and slice peppers. Slice sausage links into coins. Combine sausage and chopped veggies in a medium bowl, with olive oil, Italian seasoning and minced garlic.
- Divide the mixture evenly into each the prepared sheet of foil: four total, and make a pack, wrapping the mixture in each foil pack.
- Grill foil packs for 25-30 minutes, until veggies are tender. Remove from heat and top with fresh parsley and parmesan, if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Thank you to Sprouts Farmers Market for sponsoring today’s post. All opinions are my own. Please see the disclaimer here.
Michael K Parker says
Do you need to cook raw sausage before putting them in the pack?
Hi Michael, no you do not. It will cook in the packet!
Can these be prepared ahead and frozen?
Hi Sharon! Yes you can freeze ahead of time. Just make sure to thaw completely before grilling. Hope this helps!
Hi! Are the links that you cook precooked or raw?
Hi Shawna, they are raw links that get cooked in the foil pack over the grill. I hope that helps! I’ll make sure to update the recipe card on this too.
What a great idea! I love sausage and peppers on the grill, but it always has such a messy clean up after. Definitely going to try this.