This easy Salsa Shredded Chicken recipe comes together with just six ingredients, and is made in the Instant Pot or Slow Cooker making it perfect for meal prep, game-day recipes or potluck!
SALSA SHREDDED CHICKEN
If you love my easy Buffalo Shredded Chicken in the slow-cooker, than you’ll LOVE this easy Salsa Shredded Chicken made in your electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) or slow-cooker.
With just six ingredients (plus salt and pepper), this Salsa Shredded Chicken recipe is insanely easy to prep.
HOW TO MAKE SALSA SHREDDED CHICKEN
My favorite thing about making any shredded chicken in the slow-cooker or Instant Pot is that you can dump everything in and get on with your day.
Ingredients to make this recipe:
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breast or chicken thighs (or a combo of both)
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa (store bought or homemade)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup ghee or butter
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
Literally, just dump and cook. And then shred and store to use for the week with your favorite taco or tostada recipe, burrito bowl or salad. The possibilities are endless!
Most times, I will say I prefer chicken thighs over breast for most chicken recipes (more fat from thighs means more flavor), but for this shredded chicken, I don’t mind chicken breast. Plus, with the addition of ghee or butter, we’re ensuring that the chicken breast won’t dry out.
I prefer to either make my own red salsa in the blender or sometimes I’ll buy store-bought salsa verde (green salsa). Use whatever salsa you like for this chicken recipe.
If you’re on an elimination diet (whole30, keto, etc.) make sure the salsa you use for this shredded chicken has a clean ingredient list without added sugar.
HOW TO AVOID WATERY CHICKEN
I most often make this recipe using the Instant Pot, which needs at least 1-cup of liquid to ensure enough pressure builds, so I like to add 1-cup of chicken broth to this salsa chicken recipe.
It would be easy to tell you to just drain some of the excess liquid before serving this salsa chicken, and that’s an option and if you’d like to go that route, have at it. This is completely fine.
If you’re making this in the slow-cooker and you’d rather forgo the broth this recipe calls for, you can omit it without any issues.
If you’re making this in the Instant Pot and do not want to add broth, make sure to add 1.5 cups of salsa instead of 1 cup as the recipe below calls for.
But I LOVE the fresh flavor from salsa, and want to soak it all up! This is an extra little step but worth it in my opinion.
After your chicken has cooked through and can be easily shredded, add two tablespoons starch to create a slurry, to help thicken the sauce.
What kind of starch?
The least processed option is arrowroot powder or tapioca starch. But you can also use cornstarch or all-purpose flour.
HOW TO SERVE SALSA SHREDDED CHICKEN
There are loads of ways to serve Shredded Buffalo Chicken – my personal favorite way is over a quick salad with my dairy-free ranch dip and a few tortilla chips on top for crunch.
- tacos (obvi)
- in your favorite salad
- burrito bowls
- in a baked potato
- in a sweet potato
other easy recipes
- instant pot baked potatoes
- slow-cooker buffalo chicken
- how to cook a whole chicken in the instant pot
Salsa Shredded Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breast or chicken thighs - or a combo of both
- 1 cup salsa - store bought or homemade
- 1 cup chicken broth - or stock (can also use veggie broth/stock)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup ghee or butter - optional, but highly suggest if using chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder, or tapioca starch, or cornstarch or flour - optional
Instant Pot (or electric pressure cooker)
- To your electric pressure cooker add all ingredients, stir to combine to make sure all ingredients are mixed well and that chicken is completely covered.
- Set to high pressure and cook on manual for 20 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 8-10 minutes and then turn valve to release any remaining pressure. Make sure to use the back of a wooden spoon or thick hand towel to release remaining pressure.
- Shred chicken when tender with two forks. Season to taste with any salt and pepper, if desired.
- If you'd like a thicker sauce, combine 2 tbsp arrowroot powder (or any starch to thicken) with 2 tbsp broth from pot and mix until starch dissolves (this is to create a "slurry"). Pour into Instant Pot and mix to combine with shredded chicken.
- With the sauté function on and while stirring, slowly pour the slurry into the shredded chicken, stirring, until the sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker. Top with remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
- Cover and cook on high 2-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours, until chicken is tender enough to easily shred with a fork. Shred chicken when tender and return to slow cooker.
- If you'd like a thicker sauce, combine 2 tbsp arrowroot powder (or any starch to thicken) with 2 tbsp water and mix until starch dissolves (this is to create a "slurry"). Pour into slow-cooker and mix to combine with shredded chicken. Cook on low for another 20 minutes and toss with sauce. Season to taste with any salt and pepper, if desired.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.