Grilled BBQ Drumsticks are quick + easy, healthy and clean making them perfect for an easy dinner weeknight dinner or backyard bbq with friends!
Grilled BBQ Drumsticks
When you want a quick and easy dinner on the grill, look no further than these Grilled BBQ Drumsticks! I used to think chicken drumsticks were hard to make, but that’s because I just didn’t know what I was doing.
But in truth, drumsticks in the oven, air fryer or grill are one of the easiest proteins to prepare! I get drumsticks monthly from my ButcherBox subscription (affiliate link), so I’ve prepared these drummies a ton, but throwing on the grill is hands-down my favorite method! There’s just something I love about that smokey flavor you get from the grill.
how to make chicken drumsticks on the grill
Grilled chicken drummies are seriously one of the easiest proteins to throw on the grill. You simply grill over direct heat (over flames) for 30-35 minutes, before basting with your favorite BBQ sauce over indirect heat (away from the flames, but still warm).
The bbq sauce gets all caramelized and crispy, before digging in! This recipe couldn’t be easier.
I toss my chicken drumsticks with a few pantry spices (garlic salt, paprika, salt and pepper) before grilling. You can use any spice combination you like and make your own.
what kind of bbq sauce to use
Without BBQ sauce, these chicken drumsticks are keto-friendly, whole30 approved, lean and clean. So from here it’s up to you what kind of bbq sauce to baste your chicken in.
The nutrition info I’ve provided in the recipe card below is just for the chicken drumsticks tossed in spices. I did not include nutrition info for the BBQ sauce because it will vary depending on the sauce you use. Just FYI.
Personally, I love The New Primal Classic BBQ Sauce, but you can use any kind of sauce! Occasionally, I’ll make my Blueberry Maple BBQ Sauce on the weekend, and baste these drums with that. It’s up to you! Store-bought or homemade. Classic or Teriyaki. Spicy or sweet. You do you.
sides to serve with this recipe
If I’m grilling these drummies in the summer, the last thing I want is to turn on the oven. I’m a big fan of summer side salads to pair with all the grilled meats!
I love serving this bbq chicken with my Zesty Radish Slaw for an easy weeknight dinner. If we’re hosting a backyard bbq then you can bet my whole30 potato salad, strawberry spring mix salad and homemade pickles are on the menu! Plus canned wine.
And the best part is that all of these sides can be prepped ahead of time, so that all I need to do is start the grill, cook and enjoy! Seriously, easiest recipe ever.
other recipes for the grill:
Grilled BBQ Drumsticks
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- BBQ sauce of choice - to baste
- Heat grill for two-zone grilling method, with the direct heat on medium-high (approximately 375-400F). While grill preheats, season drumsticks with garlic salt, paprika, salt and pepper. Toss in a bowl to combine and set aside.
- Grill on direct heat for 30-35 minutes, flipping every 6 minutes, or so. Grill until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Using tongs, move chicken drumsticks to the indirect side of the grill, and baste with your favorite bbq sauce. Grill for an additional 5-10 minutes on indirect heat until the sauce begins to caramelize (will look slightly charred/crispy) and the internal temperature reaches approx 175 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.