Smoked Gouda Cauliflower Casserole: the best side dish, ever. At least this week it is. I make this cauliflower casserole quite often in the fall. It’s the ultimate comfort food, without loads of carbs.
It does have loads of fat, so while it’s perfect for keto (LCHF), it’s not paleo, or whole30. It is lighter on calories, because #portioncontrol. So really, it IS the best side dish, EVER.
I like to bake up this Smoked Gouda Cauliflower Casserole as a side to pot roast, pork chops, or any protein really. I’ve made it for holidays, and it is always a hit. Actually, the last holiday I made this for was Easter at my in-laws, so I guess this Smokee Gouda Casserole is not just for fall (ya’ll) – but anytime. You are welcome.
Honestly, I don’t know what else I can say, except….it’s so GOUDA <—- I had to, you guys. Hardy Har Har.
Items used to make this recipe:
- casserole dish
- cheese grater (I love this one)
smoked gouda cauliflower casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter - or ghee
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed - about 2 cups
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softned - 1/3 fat suggested
- 8 ounces smoked gouda cheese, rind removed and grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped - to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. Steam or microwave until tender.
- Meanwhile,melt the butter in a medium skillet and cook, until onions are tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add the cauliflower, and break up the florets just slightly, with a fork. Stir in the cream cheese; blend well then stir in the onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add half the Gouda cheese to this mixture.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with ghee or butter, or cooking spray. Add cauliflower mix to baking dish, and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining Gouda over the top.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly and brown on the top. Top with chives, if using. Serve hot.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website.
Valerie Robinson says
DELICIOUS! Made a double batch and added Oscar Mayer bacon bits. Absolute hit!
I’ve been on keto for three weeks now and my kid is a bit tired of cauliflower substituting for potatoes.. but he loved this dish. I added some garlic powder and some fresh made bacon bits on top but otherwise followed the recipe.
So freakin good 👍
So glad it was kid approved, Susan!
Nancy Critz says
I see the calories per serving but I couldn’t find the number of servings for the recipe.
Hi Nancy, this recipe serves 8! I’ve updated the recipe card – thanks for letting me know! I hope you enjoy this casserole!
I need such wonderful recipes that will encourage me to stick to a low-carb diet. I would love to see this on my dinner table!
How does this dish hold up to make ahead?
Hi Michelle! You can absolutely make this ahead. I do that often around Thanksgiving, and bring to my in-laws and re-heat for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese bubbles. Hope you enjoy!
Is this a Good dish to make ahead?
This is interesting. I have a bunch of cauliflower here and do not exactly know what to do with it. Will try this smoked gouda instead. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Oh wow this looks so good. Now, I wonder if I could make it, cooking does not come natural to me.
Amber K says
I love gouda! Well I love cheese, but specifically gouda is one of my favorites 🙂 I’ll have to add this to my list!
I’ve never met a cheese I didn’t like, but I’m with ya – Gouda is a fave of mine!