I love a good par-tay (says the food blogger/event planner #obvs). I clearly don’t need an excuse to celebrate any and all events in life, but it’s nice when there is a legit reason to.
So when Erica, at The Crumby Cupcake, asked for fellow foodie bloggers to help her celebrate the one-year blogiversary of her site, you know I was totally on board. Plus, she’s also a Florida gal, and so I double had to join her virtual shindig!
What better way to celebrate a Wednesday/blogiversary week/summer than with Grilled Pound Cake? Have you ever grilled dessert like this? I hadn’t until very recently, and didn’t get why I was seeing this pop up all over the place. It seemed pointless for a while to me.
…but you guys, DO IT. It takes this delicate cake to a whole new level. The heat from the grill brings out the sweetness in the pound cake. If you don’t feel like dragging out the grill just for dessert, use a grill-pan inside. You’ll get the same results (and flavahs) either way. Add whatever fresh berries you like, and a homemade whipped cream and you’ll never look at a summer dessert the same way again!
- 1 store bought pound cake, cut into 8 slices
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- mint, optional
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Splenda (packet)
- Preheat the grill to high heat. If using an outdoor grill, lightly brush each slice of the cake with butter. If indoor grill-pan, cooking spray or butter will do. Place the cake on the grill and cook, about 2 minutes each side.
- Place a mixing bowl and beaters to mixer into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the Splenda into the mixing bowl and add the whipping cream. Beat until the cream reaches soft peaks. Add vanilla, and beat again until cream reaches stiff peaks.
- Add fresh berries, mint and whipped cream to grilled pound cake.
Happy Blogiversary, Erica!