It’s the last day of the first month of the new year, and this is the first time I’m sharing a recipe that is pretty much a weekly staple at Casa de Crews. This first month has been insanely busy for me, you guys. Between freelance work, and a few paid events, the real job, and my best friend’s bridal shower, my eating has been all over the place. I will say it’s been quite healthy, but a little boring. I haven’t had time to try too many new recipes, and this month I have been a huge fan of bowls; salad bowls, quinoa bowls, bowls on bowls…basically, I’ve just taken whatever I have on hand that is fresh, mixed in some protein like chicken, turkey, or black beans, and made a quick dressing.
Tasty, healthy, but not always blog-worthy, you know? Except, I finally think things are slowing down for me, and I had a few moments to snap photos of my favorite new salad before inhaling it for yesterday’s lunch. Sometimes, I’ll add quinoa to this salad for dinner and call it a taco bowl…whatever I decide to call, on whichever day, it’s just plain GOOD. That’s pretty much all that actually matters, right?
We are huge fans of Chipotle powder around here. Jason loves to just add a few dashes to some grapeseed or olive oil, to toss in a salad. I like to mix it in my own homemade ranch dressing, and call it a day. But this month, I received a tasty package from Stonyfield with their newest offering, Double Cream Yogurt. Double Cream is delicious on it’s own, but is tailored to those who enjoy cooking with yogurt. With a higher fat content than any of the Stonyfield whole milk yogurts, it is thicker, and creamier, making it perfect to cook with. It’s so great as a substitute for oil, mayo, buttermilk, butter or sour cream in your favorite recipes.
This month, Stonyfield has also partnered with Simply Organic spices and dips to share with us some of their newest offerings as well. I am obsessed with their Chipotle-Ranch Dip! I originally thought about sharing this dip as-is, but was out of sour cream a few weeks ago, and decided to combine the Double Cream with the Chipotle-Ranch Dip packet. The mix calls for 2 cups of sour cream (or in this case, subbed in yogurt), but my chopped salad only needed 2-3 tablespoons, which means there is plenty leftover for whatever else you want to dip in your bowl of chipotle goodness!
This salad is made with what I already had on hand, but feel free to add/omit your fave fresh veggies to make this all your own. Shredded cheddar, black beans, corn, etc are regular ingredients I make for this recipe – enjoy!
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked (can be made ahead in slow-cooker, grilled, etc)
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup grape or roma tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cucumber, chopped
- ¼ cup red cabbage, shredded
- 2-3 tbsp cilanto
- avocado slices, to garnish
- fresh lime juice, optional
- ½ cup Chipotle-Ranch Dip (recipe follows)
- 2 cups Stonyfield Double Cream Yogurt, plain
- 1 packet Simply Organic Chipotle-Ranch Dip packet
- To a bowl, mix all salad ingredients together. Dress with ½ cup Chipotle-Ranch Dip. Mix well. Garnish with avocado slices, and fresh lime if desired. If making salad ahead of time, do not add dip/dressing until right before serving.
- To a medium bowl, mix ranch packet with yogurt. Can be made ahead of time, and mixed into salad before serving.
Disclosure: I have an ongoing partnership with Stonyfield Organic as a member of their Clean Plate Club and received this product for review. As always, the opinions here are all my own! Thank you Stonyfield and Simply Organic for sponsoring today’s recipe.