My husband loves a good football game. He loves a bad one, too. Basically, the man loves football, okay? I personally love a good reason to well, tailgate. The food, drinks and atmosphere with friends are what I look forward to most. And if I am being really honest, the food is what excites me more than anything! I know you agree with me or you wouldn’t be here reading this, now would you?
Last year for the Big Game, Jason and I were on our first round of the Whole 30 Diet. I thought it would be hard to enjoy the day, but I ended up making some ah-mazing, and mostly healthy chicken wings that were a hit at the party we attended.
This year however, I’m more focused on finding ways to clean up my dishes and learning to indulge in the occasional meal instead. That way, I don’t feel deprived, but also so I don’t overdo it, either. The day is really about getting together with friends, watching the commercials [for me] and enjoying the game [for husband].
Besides my beloved wings [I was born in Buffalo, New York, after all and you cannot watch a sports game without the wings, my friends!], I also love a good queso dip for these events. Do you know what goes really well with a good cheese dip? A bit of spicy chorizo sausage; sadly, most pre-made cheese dips, as well as chorizo sausage are highly processed, and kind of greasy – so we’re making our own for today’s Sunday Supper Bowl!
Making your own chorizo is a lot easier than you may think. It’s simply ground pork and a flavorful spice blend to get it right [I found this easy spice mix for my chorizo, here].
For the cheese, we’ll hand grate a block of cheddar and add a bit of cornstarch, and cool Greek yogurt for natural thickening. Not only will this cleaned up version of cheesy chorizo dip be less processed, it will also be tastier; I promise!
Okay, so now that we have a delicious, spicy cheese dip with homemade chorizo, and guiltless baked wings for our Supper Bowl par-tay, but we’ll also need drinks. Because, duh.
Not that I don’t love a cold beer while watching a game, but if I’m taking the time to prepare some tasty appetizers from scratch, I want something to drink that is just as indulgent and fun as my dish. Plus, beer fills me right up, and I’d rather fill up on my cheesy, spicy dip instead of a bottle of beer, right?!
For me, a glass of sweet Pink Moscato [save $1 here!] from Gallo Family Vineyards [GFV] is the way to go! Gallo Family’s Pink Moscato is sweet, light-bodied and helps cool down the spice that is this tasty, cheese dip.
If you’ve never thought about wine as your drink of choice to go with game day grub, I suggest you visit Gallo Family’s food pairing page specifically for the Big Game, here. It helped me figure out which sweet, chilled wine to pair with my spicy dip!
If you’re not sure where to find GFV wine, search online with their locator
Including my tasty Chorizo Cheese Dip recipe, we have 20 amazingly tasty recipes paired with Gallo Family Vineyards to share today! I’ll legit take them all, please and thank you.
For even more game day food ideas, visit GFV’s Football Finger Food list!
- Bacon and Cheese Pretzel Bites by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Bison Burger Sliders by Nosh My Way
- Baked Southwestern Eggrolls by Flavor Mosaic
- Buffalo Chicken Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Fries by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Baked Arancini by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Chorizo Cheese Dip by Casa de Crews
- Cuban Sandwich Sliders by Recipe for Perfection
- Everything Bagel Breadsticks & Smoked Salmon Dip by Foxes Love Lemons
- Kicked Up Texas Caviar by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mini Mexican Tarts by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mexican Chicken Meatballs with Queso by Curious Cuisiniere
- Philadelphia Cheesesteak Dip by Family Foodie
- Pizza Quinoa Bites by Alida’s Kitchen
- Polenta Crostini with Mushroom Sauce by Brunch with Joy
- Rosemary White Bean Dip by Magnolia Days
- Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pita Pizza by The Messy Baker
- Spicy Sticky Chicken Wings and Onion Rings by Nik Snacks
- Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sweet & Spicy Mango Meatballs by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
What are some of your favorite game day eats while watching the Big Game?
*Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.*