Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Ahhh, pizza. Who doesn’t love a good pie? Did you know October is National Pizza Month? I somehow didn’t know this, but thanks to Gallo Family Vineyards Wine, I’m more than aware now, and I plan to celebrate accordingly!
Anything where the base of a dish is a doughy vessel for toppings or fillers, and I am one happy girl. I’m also a simple girl when it comes pizza. I’m quite satisfied with cheese, mushrooms, and sausage, when ordering out….most of the time. There was this one time though, Jason and I went to a local pizza spot, and we decided to get a little crazy, and order a pizza loaded up with ricotta cheese. It was ah-may-zing.
Ever since, and I am obsessed with ricotta cheese on my pizza at home. The creamy, richness of the ricotta (I feel like I should be speaking like Giada when I say, “ricotta”, by the way) gets a tad melty, mixed with tomato sauce, and you guys…it’s pretty much life-changing.
But I still love my simple pizzas. So I’m taking sausage links and slicing them into coins, so that the flavor and texture of said sausage, with the smoothness of the ricotta are like a party in your mouth. You could easily make your own Italian sausage at home with the right spices (I do this often), but I’m taking the easy way out on this one. Mainly because I love the textures on my pie.
A glass of Gallo Family’s Hearty Burgundy is the way to go with this recipe. Their Hearty Burgundy’s well-balanced fruit flavor pair well with grilled sausages. You don’t have to take this sausage to the grill, per se, as it can easily be done on your stove-top.
If reds just aren’t your thing, I recommend my favorite Gallo white wine, instead; a chilled glass of Riesling. Gallo’s Riesling is a versatile white, and pairs well with just about anything (this is not the first time I have talked about my love of Gallo Family Vineyard’s Riesling!) Find your next bottle, here.
Feel free to use whatever shell you like for your dough. I prefer naan, personally. I eat less pizza this way, the base is already made, and also, it’s thinner than your normal pie, but not so thin, that it can’t stand up to the tasty toppings we’re loading it up with!
Sausage and Ricotta Naan Pizza
- 2 naan breads
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons crushed fennel seed - optional
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes - optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Add sausage coins to skillet and fry on medium heat until done.
- Layer each naan bread in the following order: 1/2 cup pizza sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella, half of sausage link coins, 1/4 cup of ricotta in dollops with a teaspoon, spices (optional).
- Bake 15-17 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and naan is toasty. Remove, and allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing.
For more ways to celebrate pizza all month long, visit Gallo Family’s blog post.
See what other pizza recipes we’re sharing for Sunday Supper:
- Apple Pie Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pizza by Desserts Required
- Peach Maple Mascarpone Dessert Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Apricot Chicken Brie Flatbread Pizza by Feed Me, Seymour
- Autumn Sausage & Sweet Potato Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Balsamic Steak and Arugula Pizza by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Chicken Parmesan Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Chorizo and Roasted Pepper Pizza with Arugula by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Flammkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Fig + Prosciutto Pizza by An Appealing Plan
- Jalapeño Popper White Pizza by Food Done Light
- Meat Lover’s Skillet Pizza by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pasta Pizza Pie by Alida’s Kitchen
- Pizza Bagels by Recipe for Perfection
- Portuguese Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Pesto Pizza by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Corn Pizza by Brunch with Joy
- Sauerkraut and Meatball Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Sausage and Ricotta Naan Pizza by Casa de Crews
- Thai Chicken Pizza by The Redhead Baker
Also Featured: Simple Tips for Wine Cheese Pairings plus Pizza Recipes #SundaySupper with Gallo Family Vineyards.
Need more ideas for celebrating National Pizza Month? Check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.