Ditch the carbs, and enjoy the same flavors you get from a BLT Sammie, in a bowl. This salad combines the ingredients of a classic BLT sandwich with the protein-rich addition of chicken, that is marinated in a dijon vinaigrette, which doubles as a dressing!
There is nothing I like more than a filling salad for lunches during the week, or a quick and easy dinner when I’m in a rush. And after a B U S Y weekend with my whole family, I need easy, clean and fresh to get over the carby hangover I’ve got going on. I’m pretty sure the leftover cookies my sister’s boyfriend bought, that I ate yesterday for breakfast didn’t help. Whoops.
This Chicken BLT Salad is the perfect way for me to get back on track. A bowl of fresh greens, crispy bacon, with grilled chicken breast and avocado is legit heaven on a plate (or in a bowl, whatever). BONUS: I’m obsessed with this Dijon Vinaigrette. It’s the same one I use for my Strawberry Spring Salad – it’s so versatile, and is easy to use as a quick marinade for this chicken salad!
You can use any dressing you want in this Chicken Salad with alllll the chopped bacon, but I already had the dijon vinaigrette on hand after making salad this weekend for the masses over Memorial Day; and we’re all about easy at Casa de Crews. My Avocado Ranch would be a great dressing for this chicken salad. You do you.
I wanted this salad to have the same flavors as a BLT sandwich, without the carbs. So adding slices of avocado is a great way to snag some healthy fats, without inhaling mayo (how I love thee) and keeping it light.
I usually prefer chicken thighs over breast when I’m making a hearty meal (fat = more flavor), but in salads, I love to use chicken breast; especially since I’ll have fatty, delicious bacon and avocado with this chicken salad. To make my chicken breast, I’ll either use a grill pan on the stovetop, or if it’s Sunday and Jason is grilling outside, he’ll prep our protein for the week. You could just as easily use baked chicken if you don’t want to grill.
A few easy make-ahead hacks for this Chicken BLT Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
- You can make the bacon in advance and just crumble when it’s time to plate. Feel free to make your bacon however you like. My personal go-to method is in the oven. Here is an easy how-to if you need it.
- Marinate the chicken breast for 1-2 hours, grill, allow it to cool, and then dice and refrigerate. Then all you’ll need to do is assemble your chicken salad when it’s GO time.
- If you don’t have time to marinate in the dijon vinaigrette, grill however you normally do, and use whatever dressing you like.
- If you have a salad spinner, prep and wash yo’ veggies (lettuce and tomato), or use mason jars to keep fresh for several days. Wait to add avocado until right before serving.
This big ol’ bowl of ensalada is so filling, low-carb, paleo and also whole 30 compliant – if you’re into that sort of thing. If you’re just into salads that are delicious AF, this Chicken BLT Salad is also for you. Enjoy, friends!
chicken blt salad with a dijon vinaigrette
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup Dijon Vinaigrette - plus more for dressing
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - for grilling
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes - sliced in half
- 1 avocado - chopped (about ¼ avocado per salad plate)
- 3-4 cups mixed greens - I used a romaine, and spring mix
- First, prepare vinaigrette. To a large bowl, or resealable bag, add ¼ cup of vinaigrette, chicken breast, salt, pepper and garlic. Toss to coat well. Marinate for 1-2 hours.
- While the chicken marinates, make the bacon. Once done, allow to cool and roughly chop. Set aside.
- To a grill plan, add 1 tbsp olive oil (make sure it is for high heat) on medium high heat. Once hot, add chicken breast, grill for about 6-8 minutes, and flip, cooking for 4-5 more minutes, depending on thickness (should be 165F).
- Remove chicken from pan and allow to rest 5 minutes. Chop and set aside.
- Divide lettuce between four plates then top with chopped bacon, tomatoes, chopped avocado, and chicken. Serve with additional dijon vinaigrette.
Items used to make this recipe:
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.