Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year (well until Christmas-time, then that is the most wonderful time of the year), my friends! I just love summer and all of the food and drinks that are out there to celebrate the season! Because…you know, my life revolves around food, right?
Since this is the first full summer Jason and I are in our new home, we have many a shindig to host. Jason even bought a new grill a few months back in anticipation of all the summer soirees we plan to host over the next few months.
And as excited as I am, I don’t want to start stressing over all the food, prep, and dishes that usually accompany dinner parties at home. So I plan to have most of our summer par-tays as a casual affair where friends can bring a dish. I am digging the whole idea of a Backyard BBQ. We’ll grill the meat, you bring the sides.
…ooh, or maybe we can have a meat party (note to self: come up with a better name for said party idea) where everyone can bring the meat of their choice, and grill master, Jason can grill it up!
I’m getting a tad off track, aren’t I?
Today, the #SundaySupper gang is teaming up with Gallo Family Vineyards to share recipes for Backyard BBQs & Potlucks this summer with wine pairings, of course. I have shared quite a few summer sides, and salads on the blog, and really wanted to challenge myself to think outside the box on this one.
…and then it came to me. I love chicken wings! And there are so many different ways you can prepare them; bake them, fry them, grill them.
If you’re attending a summer BBQ, you could totally marinate these Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings ahead of time in a gallon sized Ziploc bag, and have your hosts throw em’ on the grill once you arrive. Also, these wings are quite tasty served cold (after cooking first, of course) and could be brought as an appetizer before the main event.
If you’re throwing a summer par-tay, I promise your guests will love these wings. They are spicy, flavorful and hello, #cilantro. What isn’t to love about them?
You know what goes really good with a batch of Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings? Wine. Specifically, Gallo Family Vineyards Riesling – which I have talked about before (because seriously, it is SO good!). Gallo’s Riesling is versatile, and pairs well with just about anything. I love it with these chicken wings because its sweet enough, and cold enough to cool down the heat from the jalapeno in these wings, without being too sweet to forget about the cilantro.
- 2-3 jalapeno peppers, ribs and seeds removed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Zest from 2 limes
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey, optional (sugars will cook off from grill but adds a sweetness to the zest)
- 4 pounds chicken wings and/or drumsticks
- 4 limes, for garnish
- Add jalapenos, garlic cloves, fresh cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, soy sauce, olive oil and honey into a blender or food processor to create marinade.
- Place chicken wings in a bowl or Ziploc bag and mix with marinade. Marinate chicken for 1 hour up to 10 hours (I wouldn't marinate longer than 10 hours because the lime zest has acidity that could break down the chicken which is not tasty)
- Grill according to your individual grill settings (or bake for 50 minutes in an oven at 400 degrees, flipping halfway through on a baking sheet or broiler pan!)
See what others are bringing to our virtual Backyard BBQ:
- Buffalo Bread by Feed Me, Seymour
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings by Casa de Crews
- Creamy Asparagus Puffs by Brunch with Joy
- Bibimbap Bar by kimchi MOM
- Chicken Satay by Curious Cuisiniere
- Citrus Grilled Chicken Under a Brick by Nosh My Way
- Garlicky Sirloin Steak For A Crowd by Family Foodie
- Grilled Chicken Salad Sandwiches by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Grilled Mediterranean Salmon Burgers with Tzatziki by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Sides and Salads:
- Bacon Strawberry and Farro Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Balsamic Blueberry Salad by Alida’s Kitchen
- Caprese Pasta Salad by One Sweet Mess
- Grilled Rainbow Potato Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Spicy Watermelon Salad by Ruffles & Truffles
- Tortellini Salad by Magnolia Days
- Coconut Shortcakes with Grilled Pineapple by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Frozen Root Beer Float Pie by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Grilled Peaches with Brioche by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- S’more Cookie Cups by Desserts Required
BBQ Helpful Info:
- 5 Tips for Using BBQ Sauce by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.