High in protein. Low in calories/carbs. Prep these Sausage, Spinach, and Cheese Egg Cups for a weekday breakfast for easy grab and go, or festive Sunday Brunch!
Mini Frittatas, Egg Muffins, Egg Cups, Omelets…call em’ what you want, they’re all pretty much the same thing at the end of the day
I have been making some variation of these egg cups for several years now. They’re easy to make, low in calories, and carbs, and high in protein. I make them on Sunday afternoon or Monday night (should I have too much fun on Sunday to meal prep properly. I digress). They’re also perfect in a pinch for brunch! I have brought these Sausage, Spinach, and Cheese Egg Cups many a time – I have several inexpensive cake platters that I’ve bought HomeGoods and Target to pretty up the presentation.
I make these egg cups so often that friends have asked for this recipe. But honestly, you don’t need a proper recipe! Throw in what you like. I will share with you how I layer these Sausage, Spinach, and Cheese Egg Cups because for me it took a while to get them how I liked. But in the end, you do you.
I also highly recommend a quality non-stick muffin pan. One where you don’t even need non-stick spray. I bought a pricey one from a co-worker who had a Pampered Chef party, and I swear by this pan! I have another cheaper, non-stick pan that I use when I want to double up a batch, and they never, ever turn out as good. They stick no matter what I use.
Today’s egg cup combo of sausage, spinach, and cheese is the one I make most often. I prefer bacon, but Jason likes sausage. I try and find fresh pork sausage to add my own seasonings to (cleaner this way). I also hand shred cheese, as blocked cheese has less ingredients/preservatives. In this recipe, I don’t get all “clean” on you. You’re an adult, and you’ll buy what you like, right? If you’re not into making your own breakfast sausage (I promise, it is so easy), a pre-packaged roll of breakfast sausage will just fine.
items used to make this recipe:
sausage, spinach, and cheese egg cups
- 12 eggs whisked
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a bowl, whisk eggs, and add spices.. Set aside.
- Heat skillet on medium heat and begin to break sausage into crumbles in skillet, with a spatula. When sausage is almost done, add fresh spinach gradually, a few handfuls at a time, until spinach wilts. Use entire bag, as spinach will cook down.
- Add 1-2 spoonfuls of sausage/spinach combo into each muffin cup. Pour in egg mixture until cup is ¾ full. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool 4-5 minutes, before removing from muffin cup tin. Can be made in advance.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.