The perfect make ahead breakfast casserole perfect for the workweek or a casual Sunday brunch at home with friends. Bonus: it’s low carb!
Brunch brən(t)SH/ noun a late morning meal eaten instead of breakfast and lunch. Also known as quite possibly my favorite meal ever!
I actually have three regular recipes in my monthly rotation at Casa de Crews. 1. Sweet Potato Hash 2. Some variation of egg muffins 3. This brunch bake!
It tastes kind of fancy, and is so flavorful. It’s low in carbs, high in protein, and loaded with cheese (and sausage, and mushrooms. Oh my!).
This recipe became a staple after reading the back of a bag of Kraft shredded cheddar several years ago (here). Instead of pre-shredded cheese, I always buy block and hand shred (less preservatives that way). Sometimes I am super lazy and buy a roll of sausage (TWSS), and sometimes I take a pound of ground pork, and add my own spices for a cleaner dish.
No matter how you clean it up (or don’t), this Sausage Brunch Bake is good.
Some years, we go to brunch on New Year’s Day. Some years, we stay in and
recover from NYE lazily make mimosas and breakfast at home (last year, we started Friends on Netflix, and ate cinnamon buns in bed – it was the most glorious day of my entire life).
No matter your plans on New Year’s Eve, make this Sausage Brunch Bake for New Year’s Day, and start the year off right!
sausage brunch bake
- 12 large eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms - white button, portobello, etc
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 small roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk eggs and sour cream until blended; pour into 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake 10 min. or until egg mixture is softly set. Meanwhile, cook sausage, mushrooms and onions in large skillet on medium heat 6 to 8 min. or until sausage is done, stirring occasionally; drain.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Spoon tomatoes over egg layer; cover with sausage mixture and cheese.
- Bake 30 min. or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.
This looks so good!! I may just have to make it one day very very soon!! #TBB #FridaySharefest
SMD @ Life According to Steph says
That looks fabulous! And easy too.
Happy New Year!
Run DMT says
That looks so delicious! I make something similar and yes, they are perfect for brunch and feeding big crowds.