“This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MyTFMValentine #TheFreshMarket. This content is intended for readers who are 21 and over.”
Fancy steakhouses are my love language when it comes to a celebration. There’s just something about a dimly lit dining room, with fresh white plates, and presentation that I love. But the price tag for night out like this, is something I could do without. So I have to pick and choose when it’s worth going out to drop over a hundred dollars for an upscale dinner, and when it’s better to dim the lights at Casa de Crews, pull out our nicest dinnerware, and eat together at the dining room table (versus the coffee table and Netflix (we’re not the only ones, right?))
The first year Jason and I celebrated Valentine’s Day together, he pulled out all the stops; super thoughtful gifts, flowers, and dinner at a reallllly nice fondue restaurant in the area. I was so excited! But it was packed, and awkward, and a little bit of an amateur hour for date nights. And he dropped over $100, which made me feel super guilty. I didn’t want or need that.
Ever since that first Valentine’s Day, we’ve opted to stay in and cook a nice meal together (um, this will be our tenth Valentine’s Day together – what), and maybe go to an event over the weekend, like a movie or hockey game. We’d both much rather have an experience, than drop loads of cash with everyone else in the world on the same night.
Since Valentine’s Day is on a Wednesday this year, we’re keeping kitchen prep simple, but upscale like the steakhouses we enjoy, and are ordering a Valentine’s Day Meal Kit, from The Fresh Market.
Dinner could not be easier; by choosing The Fresh Market (find your store, here!), a specialty grocer known for providing a curated product selection of specialty foods with exceptional quality and the finest ingredients, to celebrate our VDay in, we know it will be worth every last bite!
The Valentine’s Day Meal includes:
Choice of Entrée –
- 2 Premium Choice Chateaubriand Cut Filet Mignons – Premium Choice Chateaubriand Cut Filet Mignon is carefully selected from the center of the tenderloin roast, ensuring tenderness and the best flavor (9 oz minimum cuts)
- OR 2 North Atlantic Cold Water Lobster Tails – Enjoy the delicately sweet flavor and smooth, velvety texture of our North Atlantic lobster tails
- OR 1 Premium Choice Chateaubriand Cut Filet Mignon and 1 North Atlantic Cold Water Lobster Tail
- 1 lb Yukon Gold Whipped Mashed Potatoes: Made with fresh Yukon Gold potatoes, real cream and butter. These whipped potatoes are a Rich and creamy traditional side dish.
- 1 Bunch of Fresh Asparagus Tips
- 12 ct Chocolate Dipped Strawberries: strawberries are hand dipped in decadent dark chocolate
- 1 Dozen Roses:1 dozen beautiful, fresh cut roses available in a variety of colors.
Irresistible Valentine’s Meal for Two: Filet Mignon, Lobster Tail, Sides, Dessert & Roses; this kit retails for just $49.99 at The Fresh Market, and is available for orders until February 11th (look in the front of the store near the floral section for order your order form). These kits can be picked up in-store from February 12th to February 14th, just in time for a special Valentine’s Day dinner, for two at home!
I plan to roast the asparagus tips in parmesan, and even though the Yukon Gold Whipped Mashed Potatoes are delicious as is, I will add a few touches, with cheddar, and fresh chives. Obviously, bubbly is a must! Jason and I don’t like many of the same spirits, but we (surprisingly) love to share a bottle of champagne with a nice dinner at home. We love Moet and Chandon Brut to celebrate at Casa de Crews, and you can easily find it in the wine section of The Fresh Market.
So! How do you cook the perfect filet mignon? It took me several attempts over the years to get it right. Jason used to be the steak aficionado at Casa de Crews, but I think I’ve learned my own techniques that make mine slightly better. He is the best at manning a grill outdoors, but I think I’m a tad better with a cast iron skillet.
I’ve learned to have patience, and use equal parts oil and butter to get the perfectly seared filet mignons. You can use unsalted butter, or ghee is fine too. I just use whatever we have on hand, and I had ghee in the pantry to use up.
These Chateaubriand Cut Filet Mignons are wonderfully thick, and finishing them in the oven, with fresh herbs, helps to seal the flavor in, without overcooking. We like to enjoy our filet mignon at medium temperature (140 to 150 degrees F). While the steaks rest, all you have to do is prepare the asparagus tips however you like, and reheat the mashed potatoes, and garnish if you’re doing so.
Easy, flavorful, and a great price to celebrate Valentine’s Day at home – enjoy!
how to cook the perfect filet mignon
- 1-2 Chateaubriand Cut Filet Mignon steaks
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter - or ghee
- 1 tbsp oil - grapeseed, or avocado, anything for high temp
- Kosher Salt - to taste
- Freshly cracked pepper - to taste
- 2-3 garlic cloves - to garnish (optional)
- fresh herbs - such as rosemary, optional
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.