Enjoy the Greek flavor you love in these fun, easy to make, Gyro Meatballs! Made using a combo of ground lamb and beef, these balls are so good, you’ll say, ¡OPA!
I could seriously eat Greek food everyday, and gyro meat every other day (on the alternate days, give me souvlaki, plz) but also that gets expensive, so making my own Greek-inspired comfort food is the way to go.
Living in Tampa, I’m not very far from the city of Tarpon Springs, which has a huge Greek population and culture, so knowing what delicious, authentic Greek food is, as well as Greek-American food is in part of my life. I also went to high school in Tarpon Springs. So when I say I could eat it everyday, I’m not kidding.
Greek food has so much lemony, dilly flavor! I love it all. I especially love gyros – but not the sandwich you’re probably thinking of. I’m talking about the gyro meat in general, made on a spit, served on a platter with a fresh Greek side salad, tzatziki sauce, with a side of rice. This is the gyro I legit want as my last supper someday.
Lamb is a fattier protein, so I like to combine my Gyro Meatballs with a pound of lean ground beef. The beef will help absorb the fat, so there’s flavor all around. These Gyro Meatballs are baked in the oven, and can be made ahead for meal prep, or served straight out of the oven. They freeze well, and would make a great party app or tailgate treat – seriously, show up with a platter of these Baked Gyro Meatballs, and watch them go.
I like to occasionally serve with a side of Lemon Rice , but if you’re watching your carbs, or on a Whole 30, you can omit altogether.
So usually I combine all my meatball ingredients together, and then form into balls before baking – but when I made these Greek Meatballs, I used the food processor to combine everything together, and now that’s the only way I will prep meatballs – everything comes together, all the fresh herbs are chopped nicely, and the balls form a lot easier. If you’ve never prepped homemade meatballs before, try I T.
items used to make this recipe:
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 lb ground beef - I used 90/10
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablesoon dried dill spice
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups rice of choice, cooked to package directions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 2 fresh lemons
- lemon zest, to taste - 1/2 - 1 whole lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper (or foil, and non-stick spray.
- To a food processor, combine all meatball ingredients. Form mixture into approx 1 inch balls
- Arrange meatballs on baking sheet. Cook 20-25 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Remove from oven, and let rest 5 minutes before serving. Makes approx 35-40 meatballs.
- While meatballs bake, cook rice to package instructions.
- Once done, combine remaining ingredients and pour slowly over rice while fluffing with a fork. Add more lemon juice a little at a time if needed.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website. Please see the disclaimer here.